Tortoise love

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelber10

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
long island NY
I have a lot of friends and they ask me why i love my tortoises and i said i love their personality and they are adorable so i was wondering why you guys love tortoises:p

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
He just caught our hearts. His attitude. The adorable things he does. His couriosity, the way he snuggles up to us on our sholder. His stealy eyed glare when you thwart his adventures..... and much more

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I love my torts and turts because of the serenity I feel while watching them. I love just relaxing and watching them. There is no making them do something they don't want to and their personalities just crack me up.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I love everything about tortoises. They are so smart and their personality is amazing.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i fell for George the moment i opened my present from work and there she was looking up at me, she is stubborn, awkward, greedy, adorable, beautiful and saucy - I loved her so much that 5 months later i got Frankie! who's pushy, a trouble maker, fussy, cute, strong, and such a joker! Thats why i love tortoise's, especially mine!!!!

dewbert

5 Year Member
I think they reflect the parts of our personalities that we like the most. It's very easy to anthropomorphize with tortoises. They move slowly and intentionally and they remind us that our most peaceful selves are found when we go slowly and simply through our days.

desertsss

5 Year Member
I must agree with dewbert. I rescued my babies Gordo and Twitch from a neglectful home and knew nothing of them. After learning and seeing their personalities I just spend every minute I can with them. They move so slow yet so intent on what they are going to accomplish, whether it be getting to their water, wanting to bask, or looking up at you wondering why their food dish isn't full. I also feel an extreme love for them because of their innocence and inability to care for themselves, like a child. I bacame a tortoise girl the second I brought them into my home.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Nick and I are so absolutely crazy in love with Tallula, she is hilarious.... I love everything about her, she's definitely a calming factor, and I love to fuss about her. She makes me laugh when she is greedy, when she throws a tantrum, when she sunbathes, and when she has a bath - just such an amazing character. My friends think I'm mental the way I talk about her. I am VERY VERY happy Nick begged me to take her home :D She's family!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have always liked all reptiles, and tortoises are just another avenue! Tortoises are very cool, but so are chameleons, frogs, etc, etc.....
One of the things I like about torts is their life span. They will likely out live you, where many other reptiles live a decade or less. I also like that they are easier to keep outdoors than many other reptiles.
What I don't like about torts is they can be damn picky eaters. The other reptiles I keep are insectivores and they eat any bug, assuming its alive, I put in front of them. Which brings up another plus. Its much easier to serve a leaf salad from the fridge than a jumping bug salad!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I love my torts because they bring the best of me out, They relax and destress me and they are so very cute, They are intelligent and yet so simple...I love all reptiles especially boas along with my torts..

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Alone on an embankment of verdant grass
and pungent earth, carapace still wet with water,
his ancient head stretches upward
as if to kiss the sunny air.

Many years ago life wasn't too good, and my son said .."I'm going to build you a pond with turtles and lots of wild life so you could sit outside and just relax". Well, I could sit out there forever .........and relax. Now I have a land turtle pen with a tortoise too. It literally saved my life.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Question..........not that I want to railroad this thread! Do most people who like tortoises like other reptiles? Obviously were all animal lovers, but do you like other cold blooded creatures?

Stazz

5 Year Member
I will be dead honest and say, other reptiles creep me out. I admire people who have other reptiles, but I personally can't touch them hehe. I love any animal, I am going to need a farm for when we move home for the amount of animals I want!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Stazz said:
I will be dead honest and say, other reptiles creep me out. I admire people who have other reptiles, but I personally can't touch them hehe. I love any animal, I am going to need a farm for when we move home for the amount of animals I want!

Just snakes, or most reptiles?

Stazz

5 Year Member
I'm very scared of snakes, I've held a chameleon before etc, I can handle that...maybe a beardie, but I dunno, I wouldn't have any of my own, thats for sure.
:p My friend has loads of reptiles back home, and he had a pool party once, where he took his 2yr old boa out, and put it round my neck (my back was to him), and I seriously could have had a heart attack, I stopped breathing until he took it off. Is that strange?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
bettinge said:
Question..........not that I want to railroad this thread! Do most people who like tortoises like other reptiles? Obviously were all animal lovers, but do you like other cold blooded creatures?

Hmm I am not too crazy about snakes, I am just a bit scared of them, they are really misterious, but I find them beautiful and I want them to be happy. I love them all (the reptiles) but Tortoises and turtles are my favorite :D.

dewbert

5 Year Member
Stazz said:
I'm very scared of snakes, I've held a chameleon before etc, I can handle that...maybe a beardie, but I dunno, I wouldn't have any of my own, thats for sure.
:p My friend has loads of reptiles back home, and he had a pool party once, where he took his 2yr old boa out, and put it round my neck (my back was to him), and I seriously could have had a heart attack, I stopped breathing until he took it off. Is that strange?

Me too. I'm terrified of snakes, but I also love my geckos and my grumpy-butt bearded dragon...
I'm allergic to fuzzy creatures, so I've always been fond of herps.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Stazz said:

Only torts for me (Bon) I have a huge aversion to snakes and I am allerigic to everthing, I have to take allergy bills daily for Charlie. I think others repts are not too bad, but I love this little tort. :cool:

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...If I could afford it I would have even more critters. I love my lizards and my turtles & tortoises. They and my Chihuahuas were my mental stabalizer when I had 4 surgeries in less than a year. My husband is a truck driver so I am alone most of the time. So my critters keep me going.

However, I will never have a snake. I equate them with Satan, and I work very hard at keeping Satan away from me!!

Of my reptiles, my favorite are my turtles & tortoises. They are so curious and love for me to give them attention. Plus they can be outside from early Spring to late Fall here.

Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.