tortoise in United Kingdom and temperatures

Babypetch

Hi guysI need some advice I have a 1 year old horse field tortoise and live in the uk and this weekend is meant to be around 25C can I put him in the garden in these temps or is it too cold? Thank you and sorry again :(

Babypetch

Thank you, he's just so tiny I don't want him to be cold, what temperature should I bring him in at? Xx

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
With a tiny like yours, let him warm up indoors and then move him to the outdoor enclosure as soon as the sun is on it. Bring him in whenever he's packed up for the day... probably about 4pm

He'll have a ball!

Don't let him roam outdoors freely. With the best will in the world, you will lose him. They are VERY fast on a warm day. He must have a proper outdorr enclosure.

Babypetch

Thank you so much and your Joe is gorgeous! And yes he has a proper outdoor enclosure :) can not wait to get him outside in the sunshine :D xx

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Babypetch

Oh I didn't even realise! That was me taking someone else's advice, I was originally going to buy some bark chips but someone told me no would you say that would be OK? X

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The substrate of choice on here is orchid bark or coco coir. Some use Cypress Mulch. These are substrates that you can mix with water so they are damp and raise humidity.

You must have the correct temperatures in the enclosure to do this as cold and damp makes a tortoise sick. Warm and damp is fine!

Unfortunately there are many out-of-date and ill-informed people out on the internet and in pet shops... and unfortunately some breeders too.. who keep tortoises far too dry and the animal ends up badly pyramidded.

We are lucky yo have some species experts on this forum who have written fantastic care sheets to help correct the misinformation and help people get things right.

Read the links above and pay particular attention to what they say about substrate, heat and light and food bowls.

What are you using for UVB? If it looks like a low-energy light bulb then it should be changed out as they cause damage to tortoise's eyes.

Your tort's diet should be leafy greens - it can't digest sugars properly so fruit, tomato, pepper and carrot should only be fed very occasionally.

Babypetch

Under his heat bulb the temps are around 33-35C down the warm end its around 28-32 and cool end is around 21-23 and at night I let the temps drop he eats all greens and plants I feed him hibiscus, rose petals, dandelions and other weeds

Babypetch

Yes thank you for picking up on that though, I'll be going shopping tomorrow for something better! I'm never really sure what the humidity should be but I always try to keep his humidity levels between 45-55%.