Tortoise illness?

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Hallo all, recently I posted that one of my zombensis hatchlings was sticking its head out in irritation to something. Its symptoms are:
Lack of eating
Sleeping and resting a lot
Sticking neck out when in contact with (warm water) and doing so in general, less with warmer temps
Does anyone know what type of disease this is? @Tom @Yvonne G have diagnosed it as a respitory illness, is there specific types?
Can I do anything else besides raising temps to help? The link is the tort sticking its neck out https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d2ZXrcPbTAxyRysVRy9scAJHC6UnIO3v/view?usp=drivesdk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hallo all, recently I posted that one of my zombensis hatchlings was sticking its head out in irritation to something. Its symptoms are:
Lack of eating
Sticking neck out when in contact with (warm water) and doing so in general, less with warmer temps
Does anyone know what type of disease this is? @Tom @Yvonne G have diagnosed it as a respitory illness, is there specific types?
Can I do anything else besides raising temps to help? The link is the tort sticking its neck out https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d2ZXrcPbTAxyRysVRy9scAJHC6UnIO3v/view?usp=drivesdk
Nothing jumps out at me from those symptoms, and I have zero experience with this species, or any other hingeback species, so I don't know what is "normal" for them.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I think he may be choking, the previous owner had him in a perlite sand mixture. I picked the tort up and tapped the plastron a few times. He started to "cough" more frequent and open its mouth larger with time. Even when he started to walk generally he would also do the cough more frequent.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe long periods of soaking in warm water will help.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Lack of eating
It is probably not a disease, per se, but rather a different type of medical issue.

In the absence of mucus discharge from the mouth and/or nostrils, the problem is much more likely to be an impaction or blockage in the GI tract than a respiratory infection.

If the tortoise won't eat, there is probably not much you can do yourself other than continuing the warm water soaks daily for about 20 minutes or so. You may actually need to take it to a vet before it becomes overly weak and debilitated so that a proper diagnosis and a surgical intervention can be accomplished (if that is warranted).

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
The tortoise has been showing signs of illness since I got it, it started to have a dry cough almost throwing up. I brought it home it was fine for an entire week still coughing and so but getting better after a higher temperatures. After every soak she drank water but today I saw her again and she started to do the dry cough more as she almost panicked I took her out and I started to tap her plastron, she went almost unconscious eyes open, I continued following wellingtons advice and the water came out. She rested her head on my hand only moving when throwing up bubbles, she is now doing ok , neck retracted still coughing. She hasn't eaten almost anything in 5 days, and hasn't pooped. Could this help any further?

norma.b

St Lucia ESTUARY KZN South Africa
I think he may be choking, the previous owner had him in a perlite sand mixture. I picked the tort up and tapped the plastron a few times. He started to "cough" more frequent and open its mouth larger with time. Even when he started to walk generally he would also do the cough more frequent.
So glad you managed to find an exotic vet. Hope he will soon be well.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Maybe he has possible impaction from the sand?
The only thing you can honestly do is feed the tortoise watery things to help pass whatever is in his intestines try cucumbers, spray lettuce, soaks every single day to help pee and poop a lot. Also it helps with exercise to get things moving. Make sure temps are higher than usual and correct for the species. Monitor the way your torts poop texture is, how he eats etc and how much. You need to get a thermostat and see exactly where he basks how hot it us where his shell is. To make sure its proper/ correct