Tort bobbing head

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I couldn't really see what you mean. One time it looked like something startled him and he pulled his head in???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They bob their heads when they breathe. They also bob their heads in a more exaggerated way to show territorial dominance.

You tortoise is sticking its neck out in discomfort. This is one possible sign indicating an oncoming respiratory infection. I would warm up the temps a few degrees day and night, and soak for 30-40 minutes in warm water daily to maintain hydration with the increase electrically generated heat. Keep the water warm for the entire soak.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@Tom, a few minutes ago, I soaked the tort and it blew water out its nose not realising its depth and it started waking around, should I soak it with less water?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom, a few minutes ago, I soaked the tort and it blew water out its nose not realising its depth and it started waking around, should I soak it with less water?
The warm water should come about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the shell. They should not have to reach their neck up or stand on their tippy toes to keep their head out of the water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom I have raised the temps by 20 F from 86F to 100F, is this too high?
Yes. I don't know this species at all, but I know other species from the region. I keep Chersina and SA leopards too. I would keep ambient around 80-85 (27-29C), day and night, and have a basking area around 95-100 (35-37C) directly under the heat lamp. Do this until two weeks after any symptoms disappear.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@Tom @Yvonne G, Hallo higher temps have made the situation less frequent. She is still drinking lots of water, but what worries me is she isn't eating. The sight of a juicy earthworm couldn't even tempt her to eat, any advice?