Tortoise Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub

5 Year Member
Hi guys! So i recently experienced a burglary where they stole one of my three sulcatas. I'm wondering if you guys have any bright ideas on how i can combat this? The thieves actually came back again a few weeks later to try to steal my other two. Luckily, i keep them indoors at night now. I know taking pictures every now and then is a good way to have proof identification if the tortoise was ever found. I'm wondering are there any ways of id tagging them? like a collar on a dog? Just wondering what are your guys opinions.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can have them micro-chipped.

Calamala

5 Year Member
I wonder if the bracelets like cb birds have would work. They would have to be updated with size as the tortoise grows, but someone could brake it off too. Maybe they can do the chips like they do in dogs, it's just an injection under the skin. ????

ewam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Ca.
If you get it chipped then people could only know if it is you tort if the someone gets it scanned and I don't think the thief would do that so there is probably some type of small tracking thing that you can attach to his shell.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have my 100 + Sulcata microchipped. I am thinking about running a hot wire along the top of my fence. I padlock all appropriate doors at night, the 2 gates in the fence and the door on his shed. He is in the habit of going into his shed every night about 6 PM. About 6:30 I go into the shed and spend some time with him then I close and padlock his door. Then I walk around and padlock the gates in the fence, then I am done and go into the house. I do this every night whether I want to or not. I would rather do something I am too tired to do than lose Bob. I don't think anyone could lift him over the fence but because I am somewhat obsessive I just make sure all this is done and want the hot wire. I am now trying to talk my handyman into running the hot wire. He thinks I m nuts and says it is a waste of money here in Corvallis, but in your case I would do everything possible to protect my remaining tortoises. I am sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.