Tortoise identification

ragnarlothbrok

Location (City and/or State)
Bakewell, UK
Hi everyone, our lovely little tortoise appeared under a tent at the end of summer. As we’re quite rural, it was quite a surprise. Despite Facebook and local enquiries nobody came forward (which I was most pleased about ?) Ragnar as we’ve called him/her was happiest in the garden and although I was fetching him in at night, he was always waiting at the door to go in the garden in the morning. He took himself off for hibernation in November.
Can anyone identify what kind of tortoise he is? Also, what do I need to do as soon as he comes out of hibernation (I’m hearing a lot of rustling atm) I’m building him a huge run and shelter for this year so he can’t escape. Will it be best to keep him outside 24/7 in the summer and finally, at what point can I put him outside when he comes out of hibernation? Will I need to set up a tortoise area temporarily in the house with a lamp etc. until it warms up? Many thanks in advance for any help. Btw, I’m in the UK and lots of snow at moment.

37CDA045-B3CC-408E-B58E-F78CD6B81781.png24377F6D-8A8A-4276-BC11-C9C0493E8711.pngC4ABECA4-E572-4E71-B739-0D7AC883D276.png

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I think this might be a Testudo Graeca Ibera. Im certain on the Testudo Graeca part but not 100% on the subspecies, pretty sure though.

These guys can cover a lot of ground and they are hardy torts so it may have been surviving wild for a few years, though it would have had a hard time of it in our climate. Ive linked the care sheet, please read and come back with any questions.

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

ragnarlothbrok

Bakewell, UK

ragnarlothbrok

Bakewell, UK
That’s brilliant, thanks very much. Will read up now. Before he went into hibernation he was repeatedly burying himself in the garden so I think he’s been roughing it for a while.

ragnarlothbrok

Bakewell, UK
I really appreciate you helping me out, right or wrong! I’d spent ages trying to id him from internet photos and it was absolutely impossible. At least now I have an id. Just need him to wake up so I can appreciate him ?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
This is in fact not a Greek tortoise at all. It’s an eastern Hermann’s tortoise (Testudo hermanni boettgeri).

I want to know your thought process to tell these apart. Im sure you can tell immediately now but what disntinguishing characteristics tell you its an eastern hermmanns, they look so similar?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
They’re extremely different and I have an entire website that explains all. It’s hermannihaven.com

I also have several videos on my YouTube channel that help as well: YouTube.com/GardenStateTortoise

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I want to know your thought process to tell these apart. Im sure you can tell immediately now but what disntinguishing characteristics tell you its an eastern hermmanns, they look so similar?

I think for this one, it's the shape of the head. E. Hermanns seem to have a more bulbous head, whereas Greeks have a more narrow head with a slightly pointier nose.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I really appreciate you helping me out, right or wrong! I’d spent ages trying to id him from internet photos and it was absolutely impossible. At least now I have an id. Just need him to wake up so I can appreciate him ?
There are hibernation sheets as well as threads on hibernation & brumation on this site & tortoise feed sheets. Forget about the internet & FB. The latest & best info is on this site! There are lots of UK tortoise owners on board as well.

Welcome to the forum!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm generally hesitant to id a species. I get them wrong even tho I keep whatever species I was trying to id. lol

Yep! Me too! Except I don't keep them. Trying to ID is one of the easiest and fastest ways on the forum to show off one's ignorance! ?