Buried herman

ElaineAkehurst

Location (City and/or State)
West Sussex
Hi
This is my first time here. I am the caretaker of an old Herman’s tortoise called Dan. He’s been in our family for around 20 years rescued from an old couple who died. He was the oldest of the colony they had an the vet told us he had reached his maximum weight and length so estimated then that he was at least 40 so likes to be over 60. He had been living with my mother in law for a few years who let him hibernate naturally in her garden each year and he has been fine. He is strong and healthy. We have a big garden with lots of shrubs weeds and rocks and he has been happily exploring and living outside. He stopped eating about a month ago. I have been bathing him regularly which he enjoyed! He has dug down in the same spot 3 times I got him out twice as it’s still warm and the hibernation box I prepared is not yet cool enough in our brick garage and he wanted to get out when I put him in! I have left him buried as he was so determined but plan on digging him up once the temperatures drop and put him in his hibernation box as last years wonder temperatures were so cold I am afraid he wouldn’t survive natural hibernation. Can I ask if this would be the best course of action, is it safe to disturb him? When we had him 20 years ago he went in his box beginning of October happily and woke beginning of March every year for several years

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi Elaine, I think our constantly fluctuating temperature are really not helping this year! I mean we are almost mid October when quite a few tortoises would be starting to hibernate and we are in the middle of a mini heatwave!
@JoesMum will be able to help you with hibernation in the U.K.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
We had a spur thighed tortoise that hibernated naturally on a number of occasions when we couldn't find him! He was absolutely fine and one year got down to almost two feet underground. My husband dug him up when preparing the ground for potatoes. Unfortunately he escaped and we never found him. Hopefully our sulcata will be in a stronger enclosure! Best of luck with your tortoise.

camerart

Uk
Hi E,
I have s similar situation, only mine's a lady, and I'm also trying to get the best situation for her.

I inherited her earlier in the year, and she's wandered happily round the garden all summer.

Even though I put thin stone slabs round the air-raid shelter, as I thought it was dangerous, she barged them out of the way and went up. I build a penthouse suite, as you can see in the photo. This has the longest sunshine.

I've been told to bring her in for hibernation conditioning under a lamp, but I've also read that lamp can dehydrate them. As the temperature of my house doesn't generally go down to the recommended temperature of around 5 to 10 Degrees, I've also decided to leave her outside.

As the 'penthouse doesn't have a deep soil depth, I've made another 'house' with fresh soil surrounded by stone so, the pests can't get in. see photo. I intend to put the polystyrene box, see photo, which will have a little heater under dryish soil/compost, which will switch on if the temp goes below 5Deg.

It appears that soil/compost (Of the bag kind, not from a horse ;) ) is better than staw or shredded paper, as it doesn't tend to dehydrate them.

Check the Jackson ratio: https://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/171.asp This will give you a guide regarding you keep digging him up to make sure he has enough resources for hibernation.

Good luck,
Camerart.

Attachments

• Shelter.jpg
    Shelter.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 12
  • House.jpg
    House.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 202325.jpg
    202325.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 15