1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoise ID

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Danny1991, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:40 PM.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Danny1991

Danny1991 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Cheshire
    Hey Guys, I've recently acquired a tortoise. Not really a pet I've ever thought of having but tbh he/she is growing on me quite quickly. So basically, my father in law was given the tortoise by a woman who he knows who didn't know much about it or how to look after it. He then in turn gave it to us for our daughters. Originally he was ina very small, very badly built tank, about 2ft long 18 inch deep and with a small uvb bulb in the centre of the tank. I dont know the wattage but it didn't get very warm for him. So I ordered a new bulb and fittings, some fresh substrate, new plants and a thermometer for him and have built him a table from some offcuts 18mm ply I had in work. Hes now a lot happier in himself, hes eating more, and is alot more active. My biggest problem is I wasnt given any information about him at all, and at the minute I'm not even sure what species he is, let alone his age, or eventual size.

I've uploaded a few pics, would anybody be able to I'd him/her for me to give me a better idea of his true care requirements and proper husbandry.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

20191204_201729.jpg 20191204_201802.jpg 20191204_201816.jpg
    Cathie G likes this.
  2. Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1 Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Ga
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    That's a Sulcata tortoise. They can get in excess of 150lbs.
    Cathie G likes this.
  3. Danny1991

Danny1991 New Member

Cheshire
    So in other words, when he outgrows his tank hes going to need a bedroom.

Joking aside, is there anybody on here that owns 1, are they difficult to care for, other than there eventual size. Most of the.research I've done is thinking he was something along the lines of a hermanns. But I.wasnt convinced, he just didn't look.right, which is why I ended up here. Guess I've got some more research to do. Probably not the tortoise I'd have chosen out of choice but I'd.rather not get rid of him if it can be helped.
    Cathie G likes this.
  4. Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1 Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Ga
    Cathie G likes this.
  5. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
    Cathie G likes this.
  6. Danny1991

Danny1991 New Member

Cheshire
    Yeah I've just been looking at some good posts, growth data and care sheets. I just measured mine out of interest as I literally have no info about when he hatched or anything like that, hes currently around 5 inches long and 4 inches wide (measuring his shell only)

Going to weigh him in a min I think, and then get myself to bed, I'm in work in 5 and a half hours but, didn't realise the time with reading up about sulfates.

Thanks for the help mate.
    Cathie G and Toddrickfl1 like this.