Sick tortoise??

Candycreeper555

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Idk if I'm posting this right but I have an 11 and 1/2 year old male sulcata, hes about 6 pounds and 10-12 inches head to butt. Hes in a 5' by 3' enclosure with Timothy hay bedding. For the past 2 weeks he has lost any interest in food, isnt pooping, doesnt want water, and sits in an corner all day ( I've tried moving him from the corner he just goes back to it ). So I'm a little worried I'm trying to get him to to a vet but for now I wanna know if theres anything I can do. I've tried soaking him but it doesnt seem to make a difference

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm going to move your thread to the Sulcata section where our more experienced sulcata keepers will see it and give you some help.

I don't know anything about how you have this tortoise set up, but the usual reason for them to stop eating and stay hiding is because they're not warm enough.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I think the problem is going to be he is too cool especially this time of year it can be hard to keep temps high enough. What is the ambient temperature in the room you keep him in? What is the basking temp? How cold dose it get at night?

Also are those hot rocks? Kinda look like it. If so they are not safe.

Get us those 3 temps and we will be better able to help.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings to a Fellow Maryland Sully Keeper

My first guess here is that you don’t have the entire area warm enough. I see your enclosure, but no nice “indoor night box” for your tort to sleep in and get cozy & stay warm.

Also, you might have, but i don’t see any low hanging basking lights either.

How are you keeping the entire area warm? Entire area needs to be minimum of 80 coupled with some nice hot areas for your Sully to bask. (Light through the window doesn't really do anything heat wise, other than ambient daylight.

Wondering if you have a Kane heat mat or any other heating types we don’t see?

Hope my questions help.

Good luck!

Candycreeper555

Maryland
I think the problem is going to be he is too cool especially this time of year it can be hard to keep temps high enough. What is the ambient temperature in the room you keep him in? What is the basking temp? How cold dose it get at night?

Also are those hot rocks? Kinda look like it. If so they are not safe.

Get us those 3 temps and we will be better able to help.
Uhhh I dont have those temps. I just know its 150w bulb, the nights get very cold ( house has awful insulation) and yes they're heat rocks. I've heard of them burning reptiles but I thought since hes mostly shell and thick skin hed be fine ( I'm 16 I cant afford nice things )

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hello,

What's the temperature in there at tortoise level? My first guess is it is not warm enough.

Is he 11.5 years old or 1.5 years old?

Candycreeper555

Maryland
Greetings to a Fellow Maryland Sully Keeper

My first guess here is that you don’t have the entire area warm enough. I see your enclosure, but no nice “indoor night box” for your tort to sleep in and get cozy & stay warm.

Also, you might have, but i don’t see any low hanging basking lights either.

How are you keeping the entire area warm? Entire area needs to be minimum of 80 coupled with some nice hot areas for your Sully to bask. (Light through the window doesn't really do anything heat wise, other than ambient daylight.

Wondering if you have a Kane heat mat or any other heating types we don’t see?

Hope my questions help.

Good luck!
Just a heat rocks and a 150w heat light off to the side

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
@Candycreeper555 you're in good hands here with @Maro2Bear, but I suspect you want to get that room heated up as soon as possible. Are you able to put a space heater in the room? An electric oil filled radiator might be an inexpensive way to get some heat in there until you can figure out a more permanent solution.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
The lamp clamped to the side of the enclosure makes me nervous also. Usually it's best if you can hang the lamps from above so they do not rely on the clamp.

It would be good to replace those heat rocks with a Kane heat mat as well. https://www.tortoisesupply.com/kane

Unfortunately, sulcatas are not a cheap pet in colder climates.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, thank you for the picture! This makes it much easier for us to give you good information.

Put your hand in front of that light and then move your hand away from the fixture, but keeping it in the 'shine' of the light. You'll trace the heat over to where the tortoise is. As you can see, the light would be giving him much more heat if it were pointing straight down. Also, if that is a Mercury Vapor Bulb, you shorten the life of the bulb by having it at an angle like that. It needs to be hanging from the ceiling and be about 12" from the top of the tortoise's shell. To make sure that his whole enclosure is warm enough, he'll need a couple more fixtures placed around the whole enclosure. If you buy a couple 100 wat Ceramic Heat Emitters (CHE) then place them so most of the enclosure is covered with heat, I'll bet he'll start eating once again. You need to figure out a couple hiding places too. You can buy a couple cheap dish pans from Wal-mart or the dollar store and cut out doors that are big enough for him to fit through. Two will give him a choice of where he'd like to hide.

Are those heat rocks? Heat rocks shouldn't be used with tortoises. They get too hot and may burn the bottom of the tortoise.

Is this enclosure in the basement? What is the room temperature like there?

You can jury rig a piece of PVC at each end of the enclosure, the string a wire or fit in another PVC going across the top of the enclosure, about a foot up. This is what I use to attach the PVC to the wood:

001503827.jpg

Then you can hang the lights from this instead of using the clamp. Similar to this:

91181c0ce4501231d9b51e90e7b1741f.jpg

Except

yours would be attached to the ends of the enclosure

I can't see the missing scute from this angle, but it may have been caused by him getting too close to the light?????

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Uhhh I dont have those temps. I just know its 150w bulb, the nights get very cold ( house has awful insulation) and yes they're heat rocks. I've heard of them burning reptiles but I thought since hes mostly shell and thick skin hed be fine ( I'm 16 I cant afford nice things )
I understand it can be hard to get everything payed for. Heat rock can and eventually will burn your tortoise.
You need to figure out a way to keep him wormer. Somthing as simple as a heated night box will go a long way to helping him be helthy.
More daytime heat is also needed to you have a thermometer you could start getting those temps?
Welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you! You have come to the right place to get the help do give your tortoise the best life you can

Candycreeper555

Maryland
Aw, thank you for the picture! This makes it much easier for us to give you good information.

Put your hand in front of that light and then move your hand away from the fixture, but keeping it in the 'shine' of the light. You'll trace the heat over to where the tortoise is. As you can see, the light would be giving him much more heat if it were pointing straight down. Also, if that is a Mercury Vapor Bulb, you shorten the life of the bulb by having it at an angle like that. It needs to be hanging from the ceiling and be about 12" from the top of the tortoise's shell. To make sure that his whole enclosure is warm enough, he'll need a couple more fixtures placed around the whole enclosure. If you buy a couple 100 wat Ceramic Heat Emitters (CHE) then place them so most of the enclosure is covered with heat, I'll bet he'll start eating once again. You need to figure out a couple hiding places too. You can buy a couple cheap dish pans from Wal-mart or the dollar store and cut out doors that are big enough for him to fit through. Two will give him a choice of where he'd like to hide.

Are those heat rocks? Heat rocks shouldn't be used with tortoises. They get too hot and may burn the bottom of the tortoise.

You can jury rig a piece of PVC at each end of the enclosure, the string a wire or fit in another PVC going across the top of the enclosure, about a foot up. This is what I use to attach the PVC to the wood:

001503827.jpg

Then you can hang the lights from this instead of using the clamp. Similar to this:

Except

I can't see the missing scute from this angle, but it may have been caused by him getting too close to the light?????
Yes they're heat rocks and hes in my room right next to my bed

Candycreeper555

Maryland

001503827.jpg

Except

Here's a close up of the missing scute. And thx for all the advice I'll try getting the lamp readjusted and put a few more around

Attachments

• 20191206_143803.jpg
    20191206_143803.jpg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 56

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey CandyCreeper

Just to give you an idea, below you can see our “Family Room” and our “Master Bedroom” and then our Sullys indoor night box.

You definitely want to get your temps boosted in your Sully’s room so he feels at home.

AA36815F-74D9-48E1-BBFC-94BD1FDE6A47.jpeg

I’m also guessing that you turn that light off at night and basically have no night time heat inside your box for your Sully?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not an artist, but I sketched the PVC light hanger for you. Show it to your dad and ask if he can make it for you. It's quite easy and not expensive. I didn't have room to show three light fixtures, but I think that's what you need for that size enclosure. I'd put a 100 watt CHE at either end and the MVB in the middle.

PVC light hanger.jpg