Tortoise id what kind ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnfreakyldy

5 Year Member
I was given this tortoise and have NO idea what kind it is and neither did the person who gave it to me. So I would appreciate if anyone could id it for me so I know how to properly care for it. Thanks
tortoiseid3new.jpg
tortoiseid2new.jpg
tortoiseid1new.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scooter

Its a box turtle though I am not sure of the exact species but I am sure someone will be along shortly to give you that info. Welcome to the forum! :D

ekm5015

5 Year Member
I agree that it is a box turtle. It is not an eastern box. Not sure the exact species.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
You have a Three-toed box turtle, Terrapene carolina triunguis. :)

Danny

Mnfreakyldy

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
You have a Three-toed box turtle, Terrapene carolina triunguis. :)

Danny

Thanks everyone :) I better start reading LOL, I put him in with my 2 russian tortoises. I have a LG tortoise table I am hoping he can live in there with the russians but I don't know since he isn't even a tortoise. They don't seem to mind each other LOL. Thanks again

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
He cannot live with the Russians. Their care requirements are very different (Russians do not do well in damp conditions, and box turtles absolutely require humidity.) Not only that but they can pass parasites and illnesses to each other. They come from different parts of the world and may not have defenses against things that the other may be carrying.

Take a look around the box turtle section for ideas on housing. Welcome to the forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mnfreakyldy:

Welcome to the forum!!

I just LOVE all the red on that box turtle boy!!! He's absolutely beautiful! Please set him up in his own habitat with plenty of shade, plants and moisture!

Mnfreakyldy

5 Year Member
earthyman71 said:
wow what a good lookin dude :) www.aboxturtle.com for his care info :)

I think he is pretty:D

kyryah said:
He cannot live with the Russians. Their care requirements are very different (Russians do not do well in damp conditions, and box turtles absolutely require humidity.) Not only that but they can pass parasites and illnesses to each other. They come from different parts of the world and may not have defenses against things that the other may be carrying.

Take a look around the box turtle section for ideas on housing. Welcome to the forum!

Ok thanks, I will do some research after my kids go to bed and I will set him up his own home tomorrow, he is going to have to bunk with the russians until then.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
That's the type of Three-toed Box Turtles I'd find in Arkansas...these3 make EXCELLENT pets!

You'll be amazed at how tame and friendly this little dude will become! :cool:

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear he will get his own home.

Where did the person get it from? Make sure they didn't pick it up from the wild, or found it wandering in their yard when its a non-native species (ie. escaped pet). If it is from the wild, that is wrong and can be illegal. Contact your local fish & wildlife to see what you need to do. If it possibly an escaped pet, then you need to call vets, animal shelters, look online on Craig's List and such, post ads for "found turtle" and not give details, etc. Just making sure we don't skip this important step as we do tend to get the occasional person found turtle or tortoise in yard and gave it to someone they know with turtles or tortoises without telling the whole story.

If you are keeping the turtle and after you set up the home, make sure you get all your turtles and tortoises regular fecal tests. I always recommend this, but especially since you've exposed your Russians to this Box Turtle you want to check for parasites. Get a re-check after 2-3 months to see if they missed anything, and then yearly. I also recommend vet check ups especially for new torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.