Help - Not eating

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Hello,

My tortoise has not eaten for over a week now, she hasn't opened her eyes and if it wasn't for me getting her out of bed on a morning she would probably stay in there.

I have been giving her a soak every day (sometimes more than once)
She has been weeing and pooing normally.
Once she is out of her cage she walks around but still doesn't open her eyes or go towards her food.
I know this is usually hibernation time but she is still young and I haven't hibernated her since I got her (2.5 years ago)

A couple of facts:
I live in the UK
She has an open top table
She has 1 light - a 125 watt mercury vapour lamp

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you,
Sarah x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah:

When a tortoise "doesn't open his eyes" it means he CAN'T open his eyes. They are stuck shut. Longer soaks are in order. Do you have a temperature gun? It would help for you to know the actual ground-level temperature all over the floor of the habitat. It might be temperature related, or it might be the 125 watt light is too strong for the small habitat.

If a tortoise is pooing, that means it is eating.

I suggest you re-read the care sheet for baby Russian tortoises and make any adjustments to your care that might be needed.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

princess.tort

5 Year Member
She definitely isn't eating, she hasn't touched her food in a week now! Getting really worried about her. Could it be that she is wanting to hibernate? I know this usually happens earlier than December though, and advice?