Tortoise having eye troubles

tedthetortoise2

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hi. I have a russian tortoise and he has been eating and moving well for the month I've had him. Recently, I've noticed shedding around his eyes along with his urge to nt open them. I soaked him and he opens them a bit, but he'd rather sleep and keep them shut. What should I do? Wait for a week and see? Or should I soak him 2 times a day? I am very concerned and need advice. I may need to upper the humidity as sometimes it hits 50. He has 90 on his basking spot for heat and 75 on the other. I use reptibark and feed organic greens.

Sa Ga

MN
My Morla, also an RT, also has very dry lids. Her eyes don't seem to bother her, but it always looks scaly and crumbly around them.

Any advice from someone more experienced, @Yvonne G , @Tom , etc?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. I have a russian tortoise and he has been eating and moving well for the month I've had him. Recently, I've noticed shedding around his eyes along with his urge to nt open them. I soaked him and he opens them a bit, but he'd rather sleep and keep them shut. What should I do? Wait for a week and see? Or should I soak him 2 times a day? I am very concerned and need advice. I may need to upper the humidity as sometimes it hits 50. He has 90 on his basking spot for heat and 75 on the other. I use reptibark and feed organic greens.
Is the substrate damp?

Are you using any UV? What type?

How about night heat? Most Russians don't need it, but are you using some?

What size enclosure?