tortoise hasn't come out of hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickieLee

5 Year Member
I'm in California. I've had a desert tortoise for about 40 years. He usually is out of hibernation mid March. He hibernates in a dog house. He has moved around inside the dog house, but he hasn't come out. The weather today is high 64 low will be 51 and its' going to rain. Should I intervene or just wait?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I would wait and let him come out on his own. The weather here in CA has been a little weird lately, and more rain is expected this week.

Reactions: MAM

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
When did he go into brumation? Is he able to come out on his own or is it a controlled house set up? Has he brumated this way every year?

Where in California do you live...I mean I am not asking to be nosey ...but I am asking because it matters....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's just not warm enough for him to be active and feed, but too warm to hibernate. I'd intervene: soak, heat and get feeding before weight loss and dehydration become a problem.

VickieLee

5 Year Member
ascott said:
When did he go into brumation? Is he able to come out on his own or is it a controlled house set up? Has he brumated this way every year?

Where in California do you live...I mean I am not asking to be nosey ...but I am asking because it matters....

I live in Southern California. He can come out on his own. I believe he went in in November. I think I wrote it down but I'd have to look for it. He's had the same dog house set up for at least 18 years. The last few years I've noted when he came out and it was mid March. My mother took care of him before that and she doesn't remember.

VickieLee

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
It's just not warm enough for him to be active and feed, but too warm to hibernate. I'd intervene: soak, heat and get feeding before weight loss and dehydration become a problem.

It's going to start raining tonight and more rain expected the rest of the week. I think it would be too much of a shock to bring him in the house. If I were to intervene shouldn't I wait until after the rain?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm in So Cal, and I have a Russian that still hasn't emerged. I'm getting a little worried about her too! :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My gut is saying that you need to physically check and inspect him..."if it were me" :D I would get him out slowly and would visually inspect him---check his skin pliability and look at his eyes, make sure he can open them and they do not have any indication of a sunken in appearance at all ---get a hands on feeling of his weight (to make sure he is not feather lite) and make sure that he is not injured in any way (rodents and such) especially since the rodents have been active earlier this year due to the mild weather....

Now, you are the host to that tortoise and it is absolutely 100% up to you to do what your gut is telling you. I just feel that your tort has been down for approx 20+ weeks and that is a bit long, especially since there have been long stretches of consistently warm days and not no freezing nights, he should have appeared a time or two even if he then retreated on the cooler days....this is the thing that concerns me the most---dehydration is a serious factor to be concerned about.

I know that I pulled the CDTs out here around approx. 4 weeks ago, they initially went in on Nov 1---yes, there were two times that I brought them indoors at night and one of those times they remained indoors for about 2-3 days...but they have been out and awake and sunning, eating, soaking...

I can tell that this winter they had used up more hydration than in the past...I can tell this because when they are passing their urates a couple of them were gritty and this was not something that they have done in the past...they are clearing the urates and they are becoming pasty so all is working itself through...but I believe firmly that had I let them remain down they would have suffered greatly due to dehydration...

Perhaps you can pull him out and soak him and then dry him all off and then let him go back in his house and this way you know that he has taken in water--which can hold him in many ways...again, please understand that this is my opinion and would be what I would do and in no way am saying it is what you have to do :D:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi VickieLee:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

There's nothing wrong with taking him out of the dog house, giving him a good once-over, then putting him back into the dog house (if he seems ok). A tortoise's brumation (hibernation) isn't really a total sleep, like what bears do. They just slow way down and just sit there waiting for it to warm up. Sometimes when you pick them up during brumation, their eyes are open, sometimes they're asleep. So, go ahead and check on him. Just make sure he's back inside the dog house during the rain.

VickieLee

5 Year Member
Thank you for all your replies. I hadn't picked him up because I always heard don't disturb a hibernating tortoise. He doesn't look injured and we don't get rats around here. I have seen his eyes and they look fine. Now that I know it's ok to pick him up, I will inspect him tomorrow. I called my dogs vet and they gave me a number to call. I told them the specifics and they suggested I wait a few more weeks and call them if he isn't up by then.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, you can absolutely pick up a brumating tort, especially to assure they are aok..:D

Out of my own curiosity, and if you do not mind sharing :D What organization did you contact with your inquiry?? :D. You don't know me so I will just let ya know something about me....I am nosey...lol..and love to gain as much insight and information as possible..that is the reason I even ask...:p

VickieLee

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Yes, you can absolutely pick up a brumating tort, especially to assure they are aok..:D

Out of my own curiosity, and if you do not mind sharing :D What organization did you contact with your inquiry?? :D. You don't know me so I will just let ya know something about me....I am nosey...lol..and love to gain as much insight and information as possible..that is the reason I even ask...:p

The number my vet gave me was for an animal practice that specializes in exotic pets.

I checked on Rocky today. His weight seems fine. No injuries. He didn't open his eyes. Maybe I'm wrong but, I just don't feel right putting him in water when he's not moving around. He normally fights to get out every time I soak him. He absolutely hates it. It seems like it would be such a shock on his system to do it now. The reptile vet seemed to think it was ok to wait a few weeks. I'll check on him again on the weekend when the rains are over.

M

Maggie Cummings

It seems to me that you picked him up and he didn't open his eyes, and that's not good. I would soak him, after all we aren't talking about throwing him into a swimming pool, just a tub with a low water level. See if he wakes up and opens his eyes. Offer him a bite or two. I hate hibernation because of stuff just like this. I don't hibernate any of my animals...it's too scary

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Unless it's very cold, Joe will always move a little when I pick him up. I'd warm him up for 24 hours indoors and then soak.

Joe always comes out of hibernation this way. Sometimes he's more alert than others at the start

VickieLee

5 Year Member
He did move when I picked him up, just didn't open his eyes. When I went back a few hours later his eyes were open. I put some food at the front of the doghouse. Later when I went back he'd turned back around toward the back of the doghouse. If I were to soak him and he lets go of his stored liquid, is the soaking enough to rehydrate him? He has never just sat in the water, he always fights to get out. In the past when he comes out of hibernation he doesn't always eat right away. My concern with rains he'll just go back to sleep.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know the weather over the next couple of days will be cold and wet...I live in apple valley ca which is in the high desert (where we are being hit with crazy high winds (70mph gusts) and will be accompanied by rain and cold temps for this time of year)...

Now I don't know about you or others hear who host CDTs but the normal is for them to be up by now....but from time to time we have unseasonably cold and wet weather in spring at the start....so right now my guys are up and roaring to go...but an occasional wet cold patch warrants me to bring them indoors for their own safety and health so this is what I am and will do, you know?

There are a couple factors that I see to play into the response I have for your guy...if you wake him by soaking him do you have a quiet cool dark place in your home or garage to put him into for the couple of wet cold days to come? If yes then I would say go for it and soak him...and yes at this point in the season if he drinks and then pees/clears some urates he will be fine...but this would ne my concern--build up of urates due to the extended down time with this weird cool/hot winter/spring...I mean I kinda think you need to call it....now, that is just what I feel and would do...you are the one there...you are the one that has to decide dear...I know that if you catch yourself second guessing what your gut tells you it can become a bit nerve racking....so I am just sharing my feelings based on what you have said so far...again, I wish you and your friend the best....:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi VickieLee:

I would go with your gut. You don't think it would be good to put him in water, then don't do it. He's still trying to brumate. He'll wake up when he's good and ready. The slow-to-open-his-eyes thing tells me he's deeply asleep and not ready yet to wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.