Tortoise Growth

franz_see

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
There are two common ways of measuring them - Straight Carapace Length (SCL) and Weight :)

SCL is measuring them from one tip of the shell to the other. Do not bend your ruler though over his shell. One easy way is to lay them down a piece of paper, then mark the ends with a pen, then measure the end. Or, if you're guys are small enough, I personally just measure them from the bottom :)

For weight, if you have a small one, you can buy a small digital kitchen scale. For heavier guys, you need a bigger scale :) Then you just put them on top of measure :)

Most would measure one or the other. Buying & Selling are normally based on length. But I see most people keep track of their tortoises by weight. Probably because it's easier :)

If you keep track of yours, I'd love to add them to my collection : http://bit.ly/tortoise-growth-charts :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The weight of a baby fluctuates wildly from day to day. You'll need to take a couple of weights over a 24 hour period to get a baseline. +1 on the digital scale. I prefer the ones that measure in grams.
Yes. measure on the bottom of the shell. Front to back.
Two inches since the end of October is a lot of growing.
My Red Foot grow about 2.5 inches a year.

franz_see

Philippines
The weight of a baby fluctuates wildly from day to day. You'll need to take a couple of weights over a 24 hour period to get a baseline. +1 on the digital scale. I prefer the ones that measure in grams.
Yes. measure on the bottom of the shell. Front to back.
Two inches since the end of October is a lot of growing.
My Red Foot grow about 2.5 inches a year.

Alternative to several sampling in a 24hour period is weighing after their bath/soak time so that they have peed and pooped already making their measurements more consistent.