Tortoise great escape

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Not to speak ill of the dead, but - I'd escape too if I had to live in that small pen like he's in. 40 years?? Poor tortoise!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Not to speak ill of the dead, but - I'd escape too if I had to live in that small pen like he's in. 40 years?? Poor tortoise!
Ahhh... which tortoise is that? Not getting this...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
This does make me feel guilty, very guilty at times. Therefore, I take Oli out for "walks" in the hot sun every now and then, which he seems to really enjoys.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Years ago. Decades ago...Even before the internet. I was babysitting a Russian tortoise for a family member. Of course I did the logical thing. I tossed him into the entirely too small enclosure that housed my Redfoot pair. Kept as a pair. Together.
Nice, right?
After watching in horror the Russian tortoise chase my RF around, biting at them viciously, I moved him into a 55 gallon aquarium while I hastily nailed together a wooden temporary pen.
(Of course back then we thought a 55 gallon aquarium was sufficient also)
This pen was literally two 4x8 plywood sheets. Cut in half to be a 4x4 foot square. With 2x4 in the corners.
I drug it out into the back yard. Lifted up the structure. Slid him underneath and proceeded to toss some food in there for him. I'm sure it was something healthy for a Russian. Like fruit.
Not even an hour later I found him climbing up over the four foot wooden wall and was about to drop the four feet to the grass below.
It still amazes me today.
Oh, yeah....he went back into the aquarium after that and remained there for 4 days. Probably eating ICEBERG and Bananas under a light bulb....
Who knew?

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Years ago. Decades ago...Even before the internet. I was babysitting a Russian tortoise for a family member. Of course I did the logical thing. I tossed him into the entirely too small enclosure that housed my Redfoot pair. Kept as a pair. Together.
Nice, right?
After watching in horror the Russian tortoise chase my RF around, biting at them viciously, I moved him into a 55 gallon aquarium while I hastily nailed together a wooden temporary pen.
(Of course back then we thought a 55 gallon aquarium was sufficient also)
This pen was literally two 4x8 plywood sheets. Cut in half to be a 4x4 foot square. With 2x4 in the corners.
I drug it out into the back yard. Lifted up the structure. Slid him underneath and proceeded to toss some food in there for him. I'm sure it was something healthy for a Russian. Like fruit.
Not even an hour later I found him. He had climbed up the four foot wooden wall and was about to drop the four feet to the grass below.
It still amazes me today.
Oh, yeah....he went back into the aquarium after that and remained there for 4 days. Probably eating ICEBERG and Bananas under a light bulb....
Who knew?
My first box turtle in 1979 lived in a 20 long, on kitty litter, with a hot rock that would burn up twice a year or so, and we fed it mostly mighty dog canned food with occasional lettuce and tomato, all on the advice of the local vet. I used to take it out in the front yard to let it free roam, and I lost it more than once out there.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I tried to keep my first baby sulcata in a large enclosed enclosure with an adult Russian on wood chips. I still regret not knowing better back then. Petco gave me poor advice on reptile care!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
My three toed would escape her outdoor enclosure. I would be crying, my grandpa looking around the yard. However found that my german shepherd could find her hiding in the hostas.