Moving to the US from Canada with a Greek Tortoise

abe_97

Location (City and/or State)
Montreal
I'm currently in the process of moving to Florida from Montreal (Quebec, Canada) to live with my fiancée via a K-1 Visa.
My tortoise, by the name of Turtle, will definitely be coming with me :)

I contacted the US Fish and Wildlife department and also am in touch with the CITES Canadian authority.
I also contacted the USDA, the CBP and the CDC and they all do not regulate the importation of tortoises and their regulations are not applicable in Turtle's case (they only regulate importation of a tortoise with a shell length of ≤4 inches long).

I plan on either driving to a port of entry (Champlain, New York) and then driving 24 hours to Florida with a U-Haul

- or -

Shipping Turtle via cargo plane *although I think I would need a pet shipper to do this correctly and avoid the many dangers in this method of transport, I don't want to take any risks.

Any leads on trustworthy reptile shippers/brokers?

So, that's where I'm at so far, and I'm not sure what else to do to make sure the process goes smoothly...

Does anyone have experience with driving/shipping a tortoise into the US with a tortoise?
Any tips on how to deal with the border agents, documents, etc. and any tips for the actual 24h drive with a tortoise?
Any tips/leads on how to deal with shipping a tortoise to the US via cargo plane?

IMG_1460.jpg IMG_1365.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For a shipping company, try this one

I think you would be better off just taking him with you on the drive.
If your driving soon, then weather/temps won't be a problem. A plastic tote box, with some substrate and greens and off you go. When you stop give him some water in a large saucer that you can set him in the water. Give him a few minutes and then dump it and go. Repeat when you stop.
If all places you called require no paper work then you might just want to have a vet fill out a receipt of what your tortoise is and what species. Just Incase an idiot at the border has no clue.

zovick

10 Year Member!

If your driving soon, then weather/temps won't be a problem. A plastic tote box, with some substrate and greens and off you go. When you stop give him some water in a large saucer that you can set him in the water. Give him a few minutes and then dump it and go. Repeat when you stop.
If all places you called require no paper work then you might just want to have a vet fill out a receipt of what your tortoise is and what species. Just Incase an idiot at the border has no clue.
A veterinary health certificate would be the best thing to have in hand. Those are always required when shipping dogs, cats, and birds, so I think having one with you when trying to cross the border would be helpful and show the agents that you are prepared. Just FYI, health certificates have to be less than 10 days old (or used to).

abe_97

Montreal

Thanks for the driving tips, I know it's tough on a tort to drive. I also prefer to drive since I can keep an eye on him and avoid any neglect done when shipping. I've heard stories of tort's dying in transit on a cargo planes due to neglect.

If your driving soon, then weather/temps won't be a problem.

That would be another point, I'll be driving him sometime in November or December and it gets really cold here. I'll get a small truck with A/C, but he'll have to stay in the truck with A/C on and/or I'd have to find hotels (and probably sneak him in lol) at least throughout halfway the entire trip to keep him warm.

As for paperwork, it seems to be a lot more complicated than that: US Fish and Wildlife are requiring that you enter a designated or non-designated (in my case) port of entry so you can meet with a Fish and Wildlife Agent.
The border agents will have no idea about the tort, but the FWS agent will be thorough and may even inspect the tortoise.

Also, you need to go through with exporting the tort (with a Canadian export permit) with Canadian border agents, then do the same with the CBP (US side), theeeeennn with the Fish and Wildlife agent.

A bit overwhelming 😅

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the driving tips, I know it's tough on a tort to drive. I also prefer to drive since I can keep an eye on him and avoid any neglect done when shipping. I've heard stories of tort's dying in transit on a cargo planes due to neglect.

That would be another point, I'll be driving him sometime in November or December and it gets really cold here. I'll get a small truck with A/C, but he'll have to stay in the truck with A/C on and/or I'd have to find hotels (and probably sneak him in lol) at least throughout halfway the entire trip to keep him warm.

As for paperwork, it seems to be a lot more complicated than that: US Fish and Wildlife are requiring that you enter a designated or non-designated (in my case) port of entry so you can meet with a Fish and Wildlife Agent.
The border agents will have no idea about the tort, but the FWS agent will be thorough and may even inspect the tortoise.

Also, you need to go through with exporting the tort (with a Canadian export permit) with Canadian border agents, then do the same with the CBP (US side), theeeeennn with the Fish and Wildlife agent.

A bit overwhelming 😅
You could simplify your life a great deal if you rehomed your tortoise over the summer and got a new one when settled in FL (assuming you still want one after you get there).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Driving still better way. AC may not even be needed, as most of your trip will be mild to cold temps. Heat might be needed more than AC.
I'm sure bringing him into a hotel would be no big deal. I wouldn't tell them only because they might want to charge you, but I'm sure they wouldn't care anyway.
As long as you can get all the paperwork needed, that's what I would do.

abe_97

Montreal
You could simplify your life a great deal if you rehomed your tortoise over the summer and got a new one when settled in FL (assuming you still want one after you get there).
I've had Turtle since I was 6 years old (it's been 20 years), kind of emotionally attached to him! 😅

peggy davis

5 Year Member
Arizona
Have you considered having someone drive him to you in the U.S.? I know it's still a long ride for him, but if you got someone who understands exactly how to care for him, it shouldnt be too hard to find a long haul driver (semi trucker) who would enjoy the unusual company. And, they would drive directly to you, minimal stops. Just a thought

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What! That's sad!
I can see why you might think that if you had never moved animals internationally. It is truly fraught with peril and uncertainty, and at any time anywhere in the journey, usually on the USA side, some idiot with some made up wrong idea can simply choose to ruin your day in a big way with no warning and no recourse. Animals get confiscated and then die or disappear. The people on the phone or website tell you one thing and then the person standing, or sitting, behind the counter tells you something completely different. You get the bureaucratic run around at every turn, and it only gets worse year after year. The level of incompetence and malfeasance would astound you.