Tortoise front scute got broken

tortoiseowner1010

Location (City and/or State)
Asia
Hello all. New member here so I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.
When I 1st got her the scute (the one near the head) already had a crack, but now it has broken and i dont know what to do. I think she climbed and fell or she tried to get in a tight space, so I brought her inside. The problem is the outer keratin layer got bent down, so she has difficulty walking. She seemed fine otherwise.
I'll upload photos as soon as possible.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello all. New member here so I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.
When I 1st got her the scute (the one near the head) already had a crack, but now it has broken and i dont know what to do. I think she climbed and fell or she tried to get in a tight space, so I brought her inside. The problem is the outer keratin layer got bent down, so she has difficulty walking. She seemed fine otherwise.
I'll upload photos as soon as possible.

Can you post a pic? Since there is no pic....if there is no blood and no open wound...then take a breath and just make sure the edges are not sharp....

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I'm not sure if duct tape is really the best option. I think some medical bandage tape would be more appropriate. This is because I believe the adhesive used on duct tape contains petroleum distillates, and some may be absorbed into the tortoise's bloodstream if it is used for long periods of time. It might not cause harm, but I wouldn't risk it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
View attachment 237991 View attachment 237992 View attachment 237993
@ascott here scott. these are closeups of the area. it is kind of bent down.

Can you remove that broken piece? If yes, then after you remove it, I would gently file (with a ladies nail file) the edges to prevent it from rubbing/cutting into the healthy surrounding skin. It will be a bit weird doing the filing...the tort will likely suck its head in and act all dramatic...but dredge on my friend. The goal is to make the edges as smooth as possible so not to facilitate a wound on the good healthy surrounding skin...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks guys. The broken piece stays firmly attached to the shell. Luckily there are no sharp edges to worry about
@*debora* yes it is an elongata!

Okay then....I would just keep an eye on the progress of the "piece". If there is an opportunity that it becomes removable...then, if it were me, I would do just that...Just so you know, this is not an end all .....tortoise are a hardy group....they are forgiving and able to heal from so much...so be patient and walk through this with confidence of the end result....

N

no one

Thanks guys. The broken piece stays firmly attached to the shell. Luckily there are no sharp edges to worry about
@*debora* yes it is an elongata!

I thought it was!! Haha... Such a cool species right?! I love to see some pictures of the whole Tortoise? And I hope everything goes well with the recovery of the scute, of course. *smile*