Tortoise broken shell

arch

5 Year Member
Hi all,

My tortoise is a russian tortoise and has a broken shell (it is almost 2 years old), it did not happen off late it was like that when I brought it from the pet store. He/she is awesome and extremely active. however I was wondering how long it would take for its shell to heal. The shell is broken near its right leg. I have started giving it cuttlebone for calcium so that the shell will heal faster. Is this enough or can I do anything else to speed up the healing process ?

Appreciate your help :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). From what I understand, there is really nothing you can do too make it heal or grow in faster. A picture may help though, besides we like pics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Calcium is always a good choice, however, shells heal in their own time...very slowly. I'd like to see a picture of what you're talking about. Russian tortoises sometimes have quite a few dings and scrapes, and it's really nothing serious.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Tortoise broken shell

wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). From what I understand, there is really nothing you can do too make it heal or grow in faster. A picture may help though, besides we like pics.

Its true. We love pics. :D