Tortoise feeling okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayleyc

5 Year Member
I Have a spur thigh Mediterranean, shes only 2 but iv noticed shes got flakey skin round her face like her skin is shredding?
And also when she gets up in the morning (8ish) she comes out her cave and sits next to its for most of the day. I dont really see her move about ever really. Are these two things normal?
Thank u! I'm so glad I found this forum!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Sometimes enclosure temps play a roll in an inactive tortoise? What are the temps in your enclosure....the cool side...middle and basking spot? Does your tortoise move about to eat?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Flaky skin is normal, Tortoises are reptiles and shed their skin like snakes do, only not all in one go.

Light levels and and temps dip at this time of year and your tort, like Joe, may have decided that things are wintery even if the room temps are actually fine.

Joe has to be woken for his soak in the morning, poops normally in the bath, stuffs his face and then sleeps for most of the rest of the day at the moment... I've only had 2 stomping days in the last month.

Make sure you soak daily to ensure hydration, check the light levels and temperatures, and encourage eating.

As long as there's no dip in weight, I wouldn't worry too much, Spring isn't that far off now.

hayleyc

5 Year Member
Thanks for replies I'm glad the shredding is normal, I have a temp thing at the back which reads 85 and it's in the centre I'm not sure about the rest of it I'll go to the reptile shop tomorrow and buy another one.

hayleyc

5 Year Member
Okay brill thanks very much, I have no idea how to hibernate a tortoise so I'll have a read!

Status
Not open for further replies.