Tortoise Enrichment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hello all :)

After a bumpy ride with my Greek spur thigh tortoise Eddie, he is finally starting to become healthy again :)

Now he's out and about a bit more I'm beginning to wonder if he ever gets bored and I was wondering if there are anyway of making the enclosure more exciting for eddie?
The pictures attached are how the enclosure currently looks. I do intend on adding a plant pot with dandelions buried so he has some plant life in their :)

Thanks,
Ben.

Attachments

• Picture 2338.jpg
    Picture 2338.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Picture 2335.jpg
    Picture 2335.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Picture 2337.jpg
    Picture 2337.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 111

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I would add a plant or two maybe a rock or a log something for him to crawl around:)[/align]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My favorites are various types of plants. Think some to climb into, some for hiding under or behind, and some to chew on. Do you have your substrate all flat and even? If so build hills and valleys in it. Just one type of substrate? Use a couple of different ones in different spots. How about sticks, logs, and rocks to climb over (be sure he can get back onto his feet if he were to fall off onto his back). How about a small bright colored, chew proof ball to push around?

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you both very much :D I just put in the pot of dandelions and he went straight over and had a munch on them :) my substrate was all flat but in order to bury the pot I have had to create a hill which looks good :) Over the next few days I think I will add a stick or two and a rock and a ball certainly sounds like a good idea!

Thank you both so much for so many good ideas :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If we look at enrichments by category, we can...

HABITAT CHANGES-
- places to climb on or over, or dig into
- plants to hide under, explore, or snack on
- different surfaces to walk on- soil, cypress, stone, etc.
- broken-up lines of sight. In other words, he should not be able to see the entire habitat
- occasional changes and rearrangements- mix things up, add a new hide and take one away, add a big rock or stump and remove it later.
- consider a temporary pen in a new location
(Important- the changes have to be balanced with security- changing too much too often would be very stressful!)

DIETARY ENRICHMENTS
- hide food- scatter mushrooms around the habitat, park some food in awkward to reach places
- offer unusual but healthy treats. For Red-foots, this could be something like a whole small melon. Aim for things they have to work at a bit to enjoy.
- (gotta go, but you get the idea. By the way, some torts like to play with things like Whiffle balls.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I like the suggestions by Mark. I like to change things around about every week or two. Not everything in their enclosures, but I'll move a plant or rock to the opposite side. They tend to stay more active for about a week when I change things up, but when I don't for a long period of time, they will just stay in their hides all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.