Tortoise enclosure

abbiesparrow

I am recently a new Russian tortoise owner and I just wanted to check that my enclosure is okay and if there is anything I need to change/improve?

Thank you

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420486043.263393.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420486043.263393.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 88

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Abbie:

The size of the enclosure is ok for the time being, because he is just a baby, but it is way too small for an adult Russian tortoise, so be thinking about what you can provide in a year or two for him.

Also, you're going to have to dump it all out and start over. Once it's empty, line it with some plastic sheeting. You're going to need a substrate that you can moisten. Tortoises require a bit of humidity in their environment in order to grow properly. The pellets you're using are too dry. Think about it...a tortoise will dig down into the earth and it isn't totally dry down there.

So a plastic liner to protect your wood, a substrate you can moisten...I think that's about it. Is there a second story in that tort table? Then if that's a ramp going up, you may want to think about putting a railing alongside so he can't fall off and land on his back.

Did you read the care sheet at the top of the Russian section?

abbiesparrow

Hi Yvonne

Yes I will be getting her a larger enclosure in the next couple of years when she grows bigger. I have now ordered coco coir which I believe is a very good substrate for tortoises? I will also add water to the substrate so it is moist and the enclosure will be more humid for her.

The ramp is fine she won't be able to fall over, the barrier is stopping her from going close to the edge and rolling over onto her shell.

I want to give her the best life as possible!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. yes, coconut coir is a very good substrate. You may want to get a terra-cotta plant saucer and bury it down into the substrate so that the lip is even with the ground. this will keep your little tortoise from tipping over when going in or out of the bowl.

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
I think you've bought your table from the same place I have, they're very well put together.
However the hides in the back of these are very large, what do you have in yours? Also have you thought about covering it at all? Babies need lots of humidity to grow properly and an open top won't keep much in at all.