Tortoise enclosure help!!!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419270396.101047.jpg

Don't show this to your mother because it's ugly, but if you like the idea, draw it out on graph paper.

I have these emergency retrofitted grills to keep the cat out. Maybe I'll redo it, or maybe the cat will move out. If this was in my living room I'd have painted it. But it works, and it could be prettier if necessary.

Here's the nice part: I used a metal industrial grill type shelving unit to hold the habitats, and the boxes are built to fit. The lower one has a removable front for easy cleaning. I used mostly precut wood. Home Depot & such places will do a lot of free cutting for you, leaving you only with small trimming to do. The wood doesn't need to be thick when it's well supported. Each corner has a thicker block inside to provide a larger gluing surface depth to sink the screws.

Hope this helps.

kball

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419294748.345487.jpg

This is the enclosure thee in now.
Nevermind the mess and I JUST changed that water

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's a very nice set-up. Just entirely too small. (As you already know.) Just for an example, my RED FOOTEDS are all under 8", however the pens that each one live in are over eight square feet. My largest one, who is exactly 8" has a 12' x 10' pen. And this is a species that will often tolerate another tortoise nearby of the same species. Mine are kept out doors. Your situation is different. Just go as large as you can.

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Durham, NC
Try checking out thrift stores or habitat for humanity. They have bookshelves and cabinets that you could use.
I used a kitchen cabinet my brother had leftover from building his house. Even had enough room to build a second story. And I needed something that wouldn't take up too much space either, he has a ton of room to walk around and enjoys going up and down the rampimage.jpgimage.jpg

kball

Try checking out thrift stores or habitat for humanity. They have bookshelves and cabinets that you could use.
I used a kitchen cabinet my brother had leftover from building his house. Even had enough room to build a second story. And I needed something that wouldn't take up too much space either, he has a ton of room to walk around and enjoys going up and down the rampView attachment 111226View attachment 111227

Thank you very much

Here is the little ones enclosure he was starting to act bad so I figured it was because the big one wouldn't let him eat. He's doing better now but this is REALLY small

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419517251.720320.jpg

kball

Here's my big problem as soon as I mention it all my darling mother says is NO that will be fine for now

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Here's my big problem as soon as I mention it all my darling mother says is NO that will be fine for now

Just curious, was mom OK with you getting 2 Sulcata torts in the first place?
Did she offer to help you care for them (financially) or are you on your own?
Does she know how big they get and the large -separate- yard space EACH of them will need?

I figure, if she fights you on indoor enclosure space, what else will she fight you on..?

I know there was a thread about "should kids/teens get torts" and the lack of parental support was one of the concerns. So, as I read about your situation....it makes me wonder.

As a mom, I dig into everything with my kids. They are still young but I look forward to the day THEY want a pet. Helping them research it, learn the most they can to properly care for it..etc. And hey, it's MY house. Should they want something (animal or not) that I'm not OK with....they can wait till they have their own house to get it.

kball

Just curious, was mom OK with you getting 2 Sulcata torts in the first place?
Did she offer to help you care for them (financially) or are you on your own?
Does she know how big they get and the large -separate- yard space EACH of them will need?

I figure, if she fights you on indoor enclosure space, what else will she fight you on..?

I know there was a thread about "should kids/teens get torts" and the lack of parental support was one of the concerns. So, as I read about your situation....it makes me wonder.

As a mom, I dig into everything with my kids. They are still young but I look forward to the day THEY want a pet. Helping them research it, learn the most they can to properly care for it..etc. And hey, it's MY house. Should they want something (animal or not) that I'm not OK with....they can wait till they have their own house to get it.

Yes she was ok with me getting them she knows how big they get but she thinks they should be together and the tank I have now is nice and exspensive so there fine in it together she will help me until it comes to an enclosure she is dead against me getting a new and bigger one. Today tried to get a like 35 inch by like 20 inch tote it was only like 7 inch high and I was going to buy it with my money but she said no and that they need to be kept together I can feed them separate but they need to be in the same tank I have them separated now and the tote I was going to to get would go in the exact same place at the one now and she just says u don't need all these totes in your room to junk it up. I've been working for three straight days to clean my room and rid out all of the junk. That's just not good enough for her

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If mom doesn't budge and you "HAVE" to keep them together inside, will she make you keep them together outside, too?

I think you know the issue with pairs, so what would you do?
Keep them together till one is killed by the other or slowly dies off?
Keep one living in cramped temporary quarters?
OR
Rehome one?

Any chance your mom would read the "tortoises in pairs" thread Tom wrote up?

kball

If mom doesn't budge and you "HAVE" to keep them together inside, will she make you keep them together outside, too?

I think you know the issue with pairs, so what would you do?
Keep them together till one is killed by the other or slowly dies off?
Keep one living in cramped temporary quarters?
OR
Rehome one?

Any chance your mom would read the "tortoises in pairs" thread Tom wrote up?

I would rather not re home one. I don't want them falling into the wrong care. She doesn't buget me. I can separate them tousled but it's cold here right now. I have the money to build a nice enclosed for both of the and she's always urging me to spend my money ( not the best advice) but she won't let me.

Your a mom so what would convince u to let your child build a new enclosure

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I just checked out the current tank. Maybe pictures are deceiving but it looks tiny. Too small for even 1.
I wish you luck in being able to give these torts more space.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You are really in a tough spot. I'm sorry your mother is not more supportive and flexible. first I would print out Tom's thread on keeping tortoises and pears and try to get her to understand the issues. and realize that this will be a lifelong problem with two tortoises, so what are the plans for when they get older? And can't be kept inside? Will she let you build two large enclosures outside with a heated shed for winter? if you cannot convince her and you cannot provide two good-sized enclosures then I strongly suggest rehoming one of your tortoises. I know that is extremely difficult and it is scary giving them to somebody else because you don't know what care they will get but forgive me for saying this they are not getting the proper care now. I know this is not your fault but it is the sad truth. you don't want one of them getting sick and dying. i'm sure there is somebody here on the forum that can give one a great home if you needed to. It sounds like she is not even supportive enough for you to give one of them the proper sized enclosure. i'm sorry I sound so harsh. maybe you need to just sit down with her and find out what her maximum allowances will be, size, placement in the room, what it looks like etc. if it is not adequate for even one tortoise then you may have some difficult decisions ahead. it may be too early to start thinking about outdoor enclosures but by this time next year the large one will probably be too big for indoors. you are going to need to know what she will allow you to do outside also. I wish you luck. I hope it works out.

kball

You are really in a tough spot. I'm sorry your mother is not more supportive and flexible. first I would print out Tom's thread on keeping tortoises and pears and try to get her to understand the issues. and realize that this will be a lifelong problem with two tortoises, so what are the plans for when they get older? And can't be kept inside? Will she let you build two large enclosures outside with a heated shed for winter? if you cannot convince her and you cannot provide two good-sized enclosures then I strongly suggest rehoming one of your tortoises. I know that is extremely difficult and it is scary giving them to somebody else because you don't know what care they will get but forgive me for saying this they are not getting the proper care now. I know this is not your fault but it is the sad truth. you don't want one of them getting sick and dying. i'm sure there is somebody here on the forum that can give one a great home if you needed to. It sounds like she is not even supportive enough for you to give one of them the proper sized enclosure. i'm sorry I sound so harsh. maybe you need to just sit down with her and find out what her maximum allowances will be, size, placement in the room, what it looks like etc. if it is not adequate for even one tortoise then you may have some difficult decisions ahead. it may be too early to start thinking about outdoor enclosures but by this time next year the large one will probably be too big for indoors. you are going to need to know what she will allow you to do outside also. I wish you luck. I hope it works out.

Thank u I'm going to need it she will let me build an outside enclosure. I just have to have my papa build it. I will discuss it with her when she feels better