Outdoor Enclosure Help - Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
My hubby and I were outside today, yes outside, it was very nice in NJ today. Anyway, we were measuring for our enclosure for the sulcata crew and we are looking at an area approx. 16x20. Our enclosure will have solid sides approx 2' H with wire above that up to 6' h. I will then also have wire on the top. I don't want coons getting in there. I saw sheets of wire that were pretty strong at a feed store. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, I want to put something in the ground for burrowing - any suggestions or should I just stay with this heavy wire? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
16x20 isn't nearly large enough for three sulcata. My 100lb Dudley lives in one of three pastures that he is rotated through every 2 weeks. One pasture is about 16x20, one is about 16x40 and the third is about 32x32. He eats the grass down in one pasture in only 2 weeks and has to be moved to another.

Because raccoons and 'possums are mainly nocturnal, I haven't worried about predator protection for the pens. (I do keep smaller turtles and tortoises also) What I do is to go around every evening and make sure that everyone is put away inside their predator-proof house. Its a whole lot cheaper to predator-proof the small house and saves a lot on not wiring the whole pen.

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I know that it is not large enough for adult sulcatas. However, mine are still small. I will have to give thought to putting them away at night instead of wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.