Tortoise Enclosure for new tort!

Anja Ormi

Hey everyone!
We are getting our very first tortoise at the weekend and are super excited!
I've attached some pics of the enclosure we have built and would appreciate any feedback you guys have?
We are going to extend it out the front as we realise it's a bit small, and will properly block off the glass but apart from that how does it look?
Thanks a lot!

IMG_1484.JPG IMG_1485.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Anja and welcome! What kind of tortoise will live in there, and how big is it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The size looks small but very nice. What will live in here and how big is it now?
The water dish should be sunken in level with substrate. I would also put sides on the ramp so s/he doesn't go off the side onto its back. Also check temps before the weekend. I only see one light/heat source. What are the basking temp, over all temp and night temp? What about humidity?

Anja Ormi

Hello and Welcome. The size looks small but very nice. What will live in here and how big is it now?
The water dish should be sunken in level with substrate. I would also put sides on the ramp so s/he doesn't go off the side onto its back. Also check temps before the weekend. I only see one light/heat source. What are the basking temp, over all temp and night temp? What about humidity?
Hi,
Thanks for your questions!
We have two thermometers, the basking one is around 29 degrees and the temperature away from the heat is 21. It's a Hermann tortoise and is about 6 months. Great idea about the sides for the ramp, will get that done tomorrow!
Have just ordered a hygrometer but the substrate is looking quite dry just now, it's just topsoil.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those temps are too low. Basking needs to be 90-100 F basking. With a high humidity I would not go below 80F for all over day and night. If it only shows/carries a low humidity, then you could drop the over all to 75. Being a little one yet, I wouldn't let it get too cold.
Check out the Hermann caresheet under its species section.

Anja Ormi

Those temps are too low. Basking needs to be 90-100 F basking. With a high humidity I would not go below 80F for all over day and night. If it only shows/carries a low humidity, then you could drop the over all to 75. Being a little one yet, I wouldn't let it get too cold.
Check out the Hermann caresheet under its species section.
Okay thanks, will see what I can sort out tomorrow then. And will check that out too, thankyou!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It will be best and you have the time to get it all working correctly with correct temps and humidity before your little one arrives. Good luck and don't forget to share your new one with us