ENCLOSURE QUESTIONS

azureween

Location (City and/or State)
california
I just got a new habitat for my sulfate tortoise but i am concerned if I have made a mistake. the enclosure is a glass enclosure and we are going to make a top to be able to have a stable enclosure . the problem is i am not sure if the glass is a made idea!! please let me know ! my dad built me this enclosure but sadly i don’t know if the glass is harmful to my tortoise ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10

azureween

california
I just got a new habitat for my sulfate tortoise but i am concerned if I have made a mistake. the enclosure is a glass enclosure and we are going to make a top to be able to have a stable enclosure . the problem is i am not sure if the glass is a made idea!! please let me know ! my dad built me this enclosure but sadly i don’t know if the glass is harmful to my tortoise ?
i mean sulcata hahaha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Glass is not harmful at all. There are internet sites that INCORRECTLY warn that glass enclosures are bad for tortoises and the tortoises stress out because they don't understand the invisible barrier. This is non-sense and totally false, just like most of the other care advice given for sulcatas. I, and several other long term experienced keepers have been using glass tanks to start baby tortoises for decades. Tell your Dad he did a great job on the enclosure, and to start building a new and much bigger one now. :)

You problem is a lack of humidity. An open top will let all of your heat an humidity out, and your tortoise is already pyramiding heavily.

Read this for the correct care info, and your questions are welcome:

azureween

california
Glass is not harmful at all. There are internet sites that INCORRECTLY warn that glass enclosures are bad for tortoises and the tortoises stress out because they don't understand the invisible barrier. This is non-sense and totally false, just like most of the other care advice given for sulcatas. I, and several other long term experienced keepers have been using glass tanks to start baby tortoises for decades. Tell your Dad he did a great job on the enclosure, and to start building a new and much bigger one now. :)

You problem is a lack of humidity. An open top will let all of your heat an humidity out, and your tortoise is already pyramiding heavily.

Read this for the correct care info, and your questions are welcome:
How do I stop the pyramiding? from humidity? Also the enclosure is 6ft length and 5 feet wide! is that still small?