Tortoise death and companion questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I got back from vacation in CA today and was informed by my friend taking care of my two 8 month old redfoots that one of them had died via her dog. Her only directions were to keep them AWAY from the dogs and somehow, her dog got one- not sure what happened exactly, but things happen...

Anyways my question is-

Will the remaining tort (Belo) feel the loss of the other? I know they won't get "depressed" but are they better off in a pair or group when they are little? It seems like my two kind of kept their schedules off of each other ("oh, its time to eat" and burrowed next to each other, ect).

Will Belo need another companion? I will be getting another redfoot soon, but the only one my breeder has is only a month old and I REALLY don't want to go through the itty bitty baby stages again. They were just getting functional lol. How critical is time? If they aren't raised together, will they show agression to each other? If I get a younger tort, will Belo bully him and keep from food, etc?

Thanks alot. I just learned of the other's death and am a little distraught but want to make sure I am doing the right thing for the surviving baby.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tortoises aren't herd-type animals and they prefer to be alone so they don't have to compete for the best hiding place or for the food, however, having said that...babies do better in groups. If you have only one baby and it doesn't eat well, adding another baby seems to stimulate (competition, that is, "I'd better eat this before that other guy gets it").

Yvonne

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
"Redfoots also develop deep bonds with a cagemate and may go off food if their companion is taken away." - Kevin Wright and Jay Johnson, Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital, LLC, 2008.

http://www.azeah.com/Care-Sheets.asp?id=94

I am not sure how accurate this is. I am sure it varies a lot. Between my 3 redfoots, I can tell that two are "closer" with each other than with the third. I believe that if one of those two that are "closer" passed away or taken away, that the other one will be affected somehow.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
I am so sorry to hear about your loss :( That is a terrible way to go, the poor little thing!

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
i know my RES has been through a few females (they beat him up) and he was with one for 6 months and it started to pick on him and i took it out and for three weeks he went from my best eating most personal turtle, to not eating, not basking, and spending most of his time on the bottom of the tank it may not be depression but it sure looked like it. he perked up after i added a new tank mate and has been my best eater and most personal turtle again

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am so sorry for your loss. I saw your post on the red foot yahoo group too. I am leaving for vacation and my inlaws are watching my two. I know she'll try hard,but I'm nervous. Jennifer

Avocado034 said:
I got back from vacation in CA today and was informed by my friend taking care of my two 8 month old redfoots that one of them had died via her dog. Her only directions were to keep them AWAY from the dogs and somehow, her dog got one- not sure what happened exactly, but things happen...

Anyways my question is-

Will the remaining tort (Belo) feel the loss of the other? I know they won't get "depressed" but are they better off in a pair or group when they are little? It seems like my two kind of kept their schedules off of each other ("oh, its time to eat" and burrowed next to each other, ect).

Will Belo need another companion? I will be getting another redfoot soon, but the only one my breeder has is only a month old and I REALLY don't want to go through the itty bitty baby stages again. They were just getting functional lol. How critical is time? If they aren't raised together, will they show agression to each other? If I get a younger tort, will Belo bully him and keep from food, etc?

Thanks alot. I just learned of the other's death and am a little distraught but want to make sure I am doing the right thing for the surviving baby.

turtlemom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Berthoud, Colorado
I am so sorry about your redfoot. I hope you do get another redfoot soon, it will be good for both you and Belo.

Donna

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sorry about your little Redfoot. That was a sad thing.
I only have one Cherry Head, so am not an experienced Tortoise person. I mostly had water turtles, and boxies. I have my CH with a Three Toed since they were hatchlings of only a week or so old. I just figured that they needed the same environment...heat humidity etc. On the advice of many people I separated them. Pio (CH) totally stopped eating and circled the vivarium for hours, and finally went into his hide and never came out to eat. Even if I took him out and put his near his food dish he only ate a bite of food. He was always a very good eater, and finished his whole meal all the time and looked for more. If I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it myself. After a week, I put the Three Toed back, and now he is eating and doing fine...following her around all the time, as usual. The Three Toed couldn't care less ....ate the same...only checking out her new vivarium and then back to her same routine. They are still together, and will be separated soon as the boxie will go outside for good in another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.