Tortoise chipped his bottom jaw?

AshleyFrench

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
I was watching my tortoise eat and he seemed to be having a lot of struggles. It looks like he keeps trying to get rid of something on his mouth. When I looked closer, I realized that it is literally a piece of his jaw or a scale that is coming off. It is pretty tight on there still and I’m not going to try to pull it off. It looks like it’s bleeding a bit. Any advice on what I should do?29CFC2BE-C9AC-48C0-A087-3C6BB58C9722.jpegE8B7DF0F-4251-4175-8DE3-F48045AD8DCB.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can just clip it with fingernail clippers. Don't clip all the way flush. Leave a tiny bit to avoid bleeding.

Connie Jo

Texas
My Eastern Hermann’s top jaw was too long when I got her. I just held her between my legs & held her head out, & clipped it off, a little at a time, with nail clippers. Not too close!

AshleyFrench

Idaho
Thank you both so much! He actually hasn’t eaten very much in the past week or so and I thought that there was something wrong with him. He would try to bite something and then spit it out and move his head around. Since it popped out, he has actually been eating a little bit because it’s no longer poking in his mouth. So thank you!