Upside down tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi guys,
Picked up my baby Herman yesterday...spent most of last night in its hide. This morning he has sooo much energy and is roaming around the viv but keeps climbing on his hide, then falling off onto his back....Will he be able to right himself? I am worried about going out to work incase he gets stuck...Some advice needed...thanks x

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
some can and some can't. my hatchling Herman's cannot right herself... you might want to pull out the hide while you're at work, and then later get one that she can't climb on. i didn't do that, myself, lol, my sweet LOVES to climb and usually makes it over without falling!

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I did think about removing the hide but didnt want to upset him...he seems to love climbing but not got such great balance on the way down..lol

Thanks for the help x

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
yah, mine does the "superman" pose going down, then face plants in the substrate! LOL! it's funny because mine gets off her hide better than she does this little slate rock I have in there, she tends to fall over off of that and flip! dunno how she does it!!!!!

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So you think that I should remove it or will it prevent him from being able to sleep??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
charlieparki said:
So you think that I should remove it or will it prevent him from being able to sleep??

Maybe you can replace it with one the he can't climb on. They need a hiding place. If you have a soft enough substrate, most tortoises can right themselves...and you need to let them try. But if after a few minutes it is obvious that he can't get back over, then you need to help him.

Someone gave me some PVC pipe several years ago. This is really big PVC pipe...over 12" in diameter. I cut it up into foot long lengths, then cut it in half lengthwise to make hiding places out of it. The surface is too slippery for them to be able to climb on it.

Yvonne

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks guys....have taken the hide out at the moment as Im at work but will be out hunting down a new one tomorrow...

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
A cheap and easy suggestion is to get a square or retangle tupperware container. Turn it upside down and cut a hole in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.