I need help to make sure I’m doing stuff right

Wyattburrow

Location (City and/or State)
La port thx
I just got a new tortoise a couple of days ago he’s not moving much and always has his eyes closed and he’s not eating. I wanna make sure his enclosure is good because it’s my first time having a tortoise I have a uv light and a heat lamp I have been giving him a soak every day for 20 mins I wanna make sure I’m doing things right. He’s was out of his enclosure soaking when I took the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need a lot more info before we can help you.
First if that's a red bulb its should not be used.
What species do you have?
Age/size?
What size aquarium is that? Anything under a 40 gallon long is too small.
Diet?
Temps? Basking? Over all? Night?
Type of lighting and heat are you using?
Humidity?
A closed chamber is needed to retain needed temps and humidity.

Wyattburrow

La port thx
I just got it 2 days ago and it’s a sulcata tortoise it’s about 2 inches long and it’s a 30 gallon tank we are planning on getting a bigger one when he gets a little bigger we feed him lettuce and carrots we turn the red light off at night and leave the uv light on he just started eating right after I posted that and is still eating and he’s eating a lot I just want his enclosure to be good because I want him healthy. I haven’t gotten a temp reader for the red light side and non red light side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The food choice is not good. The enclosure lighting it wrong.
He needs 80F day and night and a basking temp of 95-100F with a tube uvb floursecnt on during the day only no light at night.
He needs 80% humidity.
Please read and follow the caresheet and enclosed chamber threads under the sulcata section.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Dandelion, cactus pads, mulberry leaf, hibiscus flower and leaf, mazuri tortoise pellets soaked, are just a few things. If you only have grocery greens available then get kale, mustard greens, endive, radicchio, spring mix, dandelion and cactus, arugula, swiss chard, bok choy, and mazuri pellets from a pet store.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
Dandelion, cactus pads, mulberry leaf, hibiscus flower and leaf, mazuri tortoise pellets soaked, are just a few things. If you only have grocery greens available then get kale, mustard greens, endive, radicchio, spring mix, dandelion and cactus, arugula, swiss chard, bok choy, and mazuri pellets from a pet store.
I thought kale wasn’t good to give. What about romaine or green leaf lettuce?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Kale is not good as a main staple, but its good for variety once in a while. Same with spinach, spring mix, chard, and most others.

Lettuce is lacking in calcium, nutrition, and fiber. Its fine to use as long as you add proper amendments to it like calcium powder, soaked horse hay pellets for fiber, and dried leaf options for added nutrition and variety.

Feeding plain lettuce regularly is not a good idea. Feeding just about any grocery store greens without amendments isn't great. Grocery store foods should be a last resort when nothing else is available.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What Tom said.
For the most part I feed grocery greens in winter. I do buy cactus pads, have dried mulberry leaf, usually grape leaf, mazuri, hay and hay pellets and this year I have mulberry leaf powder and alfalfa leaf powder I make a gel out of.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
What Tom said.
For the most part I feed grocery greens in winter. I do buy cactus pads, have dried mulberry leaf, usually grape leaf, mazuri, hay and hay pellets and this year I have mulberry leaf powder and alfalfa leaf powder I make a gel out of.
Where do you buy them ? Same here. My winters are between 30-40 degrees

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I get mine at my local grocery store that is mexican based. You can also try Whole Food stores, they can order cactus if they don't have it in stock. Just call your grocery stores and ask if they carry it or can order it.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
I get mine at my local grocery store that is mexican based. You can also try Whole Food stores, they can order cactus if they don't have it in stock. Just call your grocery stores and ask if they carry it or can order it.
I’ve yet to see cactus pads or endives. I’ve seen boo choy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is two kinds of endive. Either is fine. Most grocery stores has at least one.
Best thing is to go to the stores and ask the produce manager if they can get it for you. Or call the stores and ask for produce manager and ask.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
There is two kinds of endive. Either is fine. Most grocery stores has at least one.
Best thing is to go to the stores and ask the produce manager if they can get it for you. Or call the stores and ask for produce manager and ask.
How is bok choy? Better than greens and romaine lettuce?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! The very best thing you can do right now for your tortoise is to carefully follow the two links that Wellington and Tom sent. All very important and necessary for the health of your little one.