Tortoise baths with a scrub down??

von345

I read an arrival that said in the summer months you should lightly once a month scrub your tortioses with a soft tooth brush. What do yall think? Can someone suggest what you would use with the tooth brush to get it clean or kill any bacteria from being in the dirt all day?

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Too clean isn't good. Just use warm water.

Tortoises like being in the mud and dirt. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I read an arrival that said in the summer months you should lightly once a month scrub your tortioses with a soft tooth brush. What do yall think? Can someone suggest what you would use with the tooth brush to get it clean or kill any bacteria from being in the dirt all day?
They really don't need anti bacterial treatment.

Plain water baths and soaks are fine.

The purpose of the soak is principally to allow your tort to rehydrate rather than "get clean" to human standards.

You're not sterilising your kitchen work tops. This is an animal ;)

von345

I live in Louisiana and with it so hot and humid I could see where the article could make sense to stay away from she'll rot. but thought I'd run it by you guys

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
If there was an issue with shell rot already, then yes, I could see paying special attention to cleaning your tort's shell.
But as long as your tort can dry out its carapace & plastron then there shouldn't be much of a problem with shell rot.