Tortoise ate live maggot

TortillaTheTortioise

Location (City and/or State)
N/A
My hatchling tortoise when in the garden ate a live maggot from a fly larvae and he slurped it up so it is still alive. Can a maggot live in his stomach or will it die? Please help

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Lots of turtles & torts & snakes & chameleons....eat live food - bugs, maggots, larvae, on a daily basis. It’s part of their diet and what they eat.

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
Lots of turtles & torts & snakes & chameleons....eat live food - bugs, maggots, larvae, on a daily basis. It’s part of their diet and what they eat.
Ive read that some maggots if ingested live can still live in the intestines of humans and animals so that's why I got worried, but I guess in the wild they eat these things all the time. I'll just have to keep an eye on him :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A maggot cannot live in their intestinal tract. It will be digested. But maggots don't just crawl around on their own out in the world. They are usually on something dead and rotting. Are you sure it was a maggot? Flies lay their eggs on rotting stuff so that when they hatch, the larvae will have something to eat.

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
A maggot cannot live in their intestinal tract. It will be digested. But maggots don't just crawl around on their own out in the world. They are usually on something dead and rotting. Are you sure it was a maggot? Flies lay their eggs on rotting stuff so that when they hatch, the larvae will have something to eat.
yes the larvae was on the outside bin, some had fallen off the top of the bin and were wriggling on the ground

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yes the larvae was on the outside bin, some had fallen off the top of the bin and were wriggling on the ground
Ahhh... That makes sense.

We always say that tortoises are opportunistic. Yours just proved us right! :) Sounds like its time to move the bin outside of the tortoise's enclosure.