Tortoise are the prefect pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Myrtle Beach SC
I love that Franklin spends the whole day in the yard and does not beg to come into the house. He is content going to his own bed in his shed. I love that. I could never get a dog to do that. Dogs take advantage of me. I got two Great Danes laying on the beds right now and I don't mean their beds.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with that but will switch the dogs for my wifes cats who are always crying to get in our bedroom at night...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I agree, but I would take your Great Danes off your hand's in a second!! I LOVE dane's!!

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
That is the problem I would not take a Million dollars for my girl and she knows it. That why she laying in my bed. Plus she is getting old, she is 9-1/2 years old which is getting old for a Great Dane. Then there is Clark he a different story. I got him for the pound when he was 10 months old and when the prisioner bought him out he was scared. I mean the prisioner. Clark in now 7 years old and he has just now started calming down. I am not sure what happen to him as a puppy but he has been a wild card. But, now I would not take any thing for him either. I am glad I keep him. Many other people would have gotten rid of him in the first 10 minutes.

dalano73 said:
I agree with that but will switch the dogs for my wifes cats who are always crying to get in our bedroom at night...
I love Cats to. If I lived by my self my cats would be in the house to.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
FranklinTturtle said:
I love that Franklin spends the whole day in the yard and does not beg to come into the house. He is content going to his own bed in his shed. I love that. I could never get a dog to do that. Dogs take advantage of me. I got two Great Danes laying on the beds right now and I don't mean their beds.

My Danes know they are the pinnacle of dog-dom, so they know that anywhere they choose to park their Royal Heiney is the correct spot... :p

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
Terry Allan Hall said:
FranklinTturtle said:

My Danes know they are the pinnacle of dog-dom, so they know that anywhere they choose to park their Royal Heiney is the correct spot... :p
Well said. You sum it up prefectly. Lol

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Haha. My cat is overly annoying. I have two cats and one is out most of the time. The other one though, constantly meows.

The only other animals I own that are as good as a tortoise, are my horses! :p

I wanted a Great Dane, I got a Bedlington Terrier instead and my mum got a parsons terrier (basically a posh Jack Russel)
My mums dog drives me insane. I'm not a jack russel fan, I'm not a little dog fan really at all. I prefer big dogs, the reason i got Pudding (who is medium sized) though is because it was love at first site. Now i'm a Bedlington convert. I just love Beddies.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
stephiiberrybean said:
Haha. My cat is overly annoying. I have two cats and one is out most of the time. The other one though, constantly meows.

The only other animals I own that are as good as a tortoise, are my horses! :p

I wanted a Great Dane, I got a Bedlington Terrier instead and my mum got a parsons terrier (basically a posh Jack Russel)
My mums dog drives me insane. I'm not a jack russel fan, I'm not a little dog fan really at all. I prefer big dogs, the reason i got Pudding (who is medium sized) though is because it was love at first site. Now i'm a Bedlington convert. I just love Beddies.
Bedlington Terrier are very cool dogs I bet they don't shed either. Great Danes are to big, they block up the whole hall way and they shed alot to.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I love turtles and tortoises. They are awesome! However, there's a reason dogs are called, "Man's best friend." Dogs can play with you, jog with you, hunt with you, fight for you. The investment of time, money, and effort in a dog is greater, but then so are they rewards.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats a loyal dog as the best pet in the world! Tortoises and other pets are interesting in their own rite, but there no other animals that show the true, unsolicited devotion that people crave from animals like a dog will.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
GBtortoises said:
Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats a loyal dog as the best pet in the world! Tortoises and other pets are interesting in their own rite, but there no other animals that show the true, unsolicited devotion that people crave from animals like a dog will.

Amen to that, brother!

There are lots of amazing critters out there. My wife is a cat fan, and I love cats, too. And as I said, tortoises are awesome, as are a lot of other animals. But dogs are special. People domesticated wolves (dogs) long before any other animal, so we have a history that goes way back: at least 14,000 years, and maybe a lot more. In my view, humans and dogs have a mutualistic relationship with each other.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I love turtles and tortoises. They are awesome! However, there's a reason dogs are called, "Man's best friend." Dogs can play with you, jog with you, hunt with you, fight for you. The investment of time, money, and effort in a dog is greater, but then so are they rewards.

I agree with a lot of this. Of course, for me personally, a tortoise is not a "pet". To me they are wild animals that I am lucky enough to get to care for and to observe. A pet to me is something I can cuddle with and get the feeling of a real bond and love from. A pet see me as more then just a bringer of the food.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
For me there were 3 major plusses.

- No live food
- No meat
- No fur (allergies suck!)

Plus no noise, no walking in winter, plus probably lots more I'm not thinking of.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Guggie said:
For me there were 3 major plusses.

- No live food
- No meat
- No fur (allergies suck!)

Plus no noise, no walking in winter, plus probably lots more I'm not thinking of.

LOL there are many kinds of tortoises that do take live food and meat. :D

No noise??? :D Really laughing at this since the last two days I have had several pairs of hingebacks going at it. I wish they could breed quietly. :rolleyes: Plus there are other noises that different tortoises make... just to clarify a bit what you said.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
FranklinTturtle said:
Bedlington Terrier are very cool dogs I bet they don't shed either. Great Danes are to big, they block up the whole hall way and they shed alot to.

They don't. However they do need a lot of grooming, every night. It doesn't help that Pudding hates being groomed. (He's been groomed since a puppy and never liked it.)

GBtortoises said:

I have to disagree.
My horses are so bonded to me. I swear if my 4 year old could she would follow me around like a dog. Both neigh to me, both know my voice, both come to me in the field. Both follow me around with no halter or rope. I can ride both in nothing but a neck rope. I can play with both with no ropes or halters.
I love my dogs and Pudding is my best friend, he can sleep on my bed unlike my horses, but my horses show me just as much devotion as a dog.

Jacqui said:
No noise??? :D Really laughing at this since the last two days I have had several pairs of hingebacks going at it. I wish they could breed quietly. :rolleyes: Plus there are other noises that different tortoises make... just to clarify a bit what you said.

HAHA.
My OH swears Squirt snores.

Also when your hingebacks are done can i put my name on a baby? :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.