tortoise and basking light

shanon1

Hello, i have recently got a two year old hermann tortoise and when i brought her home she was walking around and having a nibble on some dandelion leafs and now she will occasionally come out for a little walk but she goes straight back to the basking spot and now she hardly leaves it, just wondering if this is normal behavior for her settling in or should i be more worried :( im sure you guys can help me out

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Tortoises are notoriously slow to adapt to change. It is not unusual for them to take months to get used to a new home.

Make sure the temperatures are correct in your enclosure. Establish a routine, so that things ocur at a roughly the same time each day. Talk to your tort gently as you handle her... and then walk away and leave her to it. Resist the temptation to watch because it is intimidating. In time your tort will learn to trust you and their new home, but you will have to be patient :)

Flipper

MO, USA
How is everything going now you've had a few days to settle with the new guy? :)

shanon1

Pretty good actually she is happily walking around and eatting her food got a good routine going so thay helps and she loves a bathe now and then :D

Flipper

MO, USA
I'm glad to hear she's settled into her new routine :D

Thanks for replying :tort: