Baby settling in time?

Benandwendy

When should I be worried..?

I have an adorable Marginated Tortoise with all pw and chipped. She is lively exploring her new surroundings, enjoys going in her water and basking under the lamp. She does not however eat. I have used lettuce leaves, stinging nettles and dandelion leaves and flowers. Everything is also dusted with calcium. She nibbled a dandelion flower on second day and has pooed but since then nothing.

Would you say at this stage that she is 'settling in' or are we doing something wrong? The basking temp is correct to her care sheet we got with her..

Many many thanks... Wendy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 30

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Not knowing where she came from and if the care sheet is old, wrong and outdated, please give the temps and humidity levels you are keeping her at and someone will be able to help you tweak things if needed. Also, until she starts to eat, I would leave off the calcium as a lot of torts don't like it and it has to be disguised into the food. Also, only a tiny pinch twice a week is all that is needed. They do also need a settling in time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is "pw and chipped"?

What are your four temps and how are you housing her?

What are you using for heating and lighting? UV?

They only need a little calcium twice a week. Try getting her to eat without the calcium for a couple of weeks, and I would soak daily for a while too, to ensure decent hydration during this adjustment period.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom: In the UK folks who buy tortoises get them with "paperwork" and "Micro chips."

Hi Ben (or Wendy!), and welcome to the Forum!

You can try some of the packaged salads and see if the new tortoise will eat those (Rocket, Florette etc.) Also, try to contact the person you bought the tortoise from and ask what the tortoise is used to eating.