Tortoise addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

free2bme78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno, NV
I have had my sulcata Peanut for about a month and I am already considering adding another one. She was 9 months when I got her according to turtlesource.com. We had a little bit of a rough start because my temps and humidity were off. Thanks to everyone here that was easily fixed and she is doing really well now. I don't want to wait until she is bigger because I think they would adjust easier while little. What are your thoughts and experiences when adding a second sulcata? This time I would also like to go through a breeder (from here hopefully) so I have more information about their first months of life. I really appreciate all of the information I have found and the help I received through the forum and private messages! I live in reno nevada and although the winters are cold i have an entire room indoors dedicated and plenty of outdoor space. My name is Jennifer and I am addicted to tortoises!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As a rule sulcatas are solitary, they have no need for a companion and often times they will view them as competition. I don't say this to be mean only to say we have seen this many many many times before on the forum. While young they tend to get along ok, once they reach puberty they often have troubles. I always say this "buy a second tortoise because you want another one, not for your tortoise's (imaginary) need for a companion". I say other stuff but they don't fit this particular conversation.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts are generally solitary in the wild and they don't take kindly to newcomers in their enclosures. Fighting may ensue regardless of gender and blood is frequently drawn.

Any newcomer must be kept separately in quarantine for a few months to ensure infection isn't passed on. You must be prepared to accept that this may have to be on a permanent basis.

Torts don't get lonely like humans do... they are very happy not to share and compete for food, habitat, warmth, sleeping places...

Your desire to get another must be balanced against the space you have available if and when the torts in your life decide they can't get on

free2bme78

5 Year Member
Reno, NV
Thank you for the replies. I will talk to my husband and show him this thread. He really wants the second one and I don't think we are prepared to do two separate enclosures for such large animals. Maybe we will get a Russian or other small one to keep separate. Kind of bums me out but I consider you the experts!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Getting a second different type of tortoise is the best way to go, You get another tortoise and it is different from the one you have. I second the russian idea, I have 3 myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.