Torto Newbie

h3ln1k

Location (City and/or State)
Semarang City, Indonesia
Hi all,

My name is Helmy. I am from Semarang city, Indonesia, it's about 2 hours from Bali island by plane :D. I'm 3 weeks torto keeper, my previous hobby is koi keeper until now. I have 2 star torto (6 cm & 7cm), sulcata 5 cm and pardalis babcocki 5 cm. A lot of differences care between Indonesian torto hobbyst and torto lover here. That's why I want to be guided by all master here to improve my torto development. Here is my torto's army :D

thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20140118-00441.jpg
    IMG-20140118-00441.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 70

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Helmy:

Welcome to the Forum!!

Please go to the Sulcata and the Leopard sections of the Forum and read the "Important Threads" at the top of the two sections. (Star is similar in care to Leopard)

Your babies are beautiful, but they are being kept too dry. Newspaper is not a good substrate. They need something you can moisten, even if it's dirt from the yard (as long as it's clean and free of chemicals).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Some of the threads Yvonne recommended are at the bottom of my post, please read them. Also, your tortoises should not be kept in the same enclosure. The stars can be together, but not with the sulcata or leopard. The sulcata and leopard should also have their own enclosure.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Greeting to you, Helmy,
Welcome to the tortoise forum. We have many knowledgable and kind people here. Ask questions so that people can help educate you, and soon you will be helping teach others. Remember that when someone suggests that you are doing something wrong and you need to do it differently, they mean it for the health of your tortoises and that they are not being angry at you. I am in the Pacific Northwest of the States. One of my longest and closest friends is from Jakarta. He laughs at me because I have tortoises as pets. Do you have many friends that have pet tortoises?

h3ln1k

Semarang City, Indonesia
Yvonne G said:
Hi Helmy:

Welcome to the Forum!!

Please go to the Sulcata and the Leopard sections of the Forum and read the "Important Threads" at the top of the two sections. (Star is similar in care to Leopard)

Your babies are beautiful, but they are being kept too dry. Newspaper is not a good substrate. They need something you can moisten, even if it's dirt from the yard (as long as it's clean and free of chemicals).

Hi Yvonne, oo I see :) I'll change my substrate into dirt from my yard and keep humidity

wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). Some of the threads Yvonne recommended are at the bottom of my post, please read them. Also, your tortoises should not be kept in the same enclosure. The stars can be together, but not with the sulcata or leopard. The sulcata and leopard should also have their own enclosure.

Hi Wellington, why they can't be in same enclosure? sorry cause I'm really new in torto :)

Cowboy_Ken said:
Greeting to you, Helmy,
Welcome to the tortoise forum. We have many knowledgable and kind people here. Ask questions so that people can help educate you, and soon you will be helping teach others. Remember that when someone suggests that you are doing something wrong and you need to do it differently, they mean it for the health of your tortoises and that they are not being angry at you. I am in the Pacific Northwest of the States. One of my longest and closest friends is from Jakarta. He laughs at me because I have tortoises as pets. Do you have many friends that have pet tortoises?

greeting to you too Cowboy_ken :D sure I have many friends have many tortoises. Many tortoise hobbyst in Indonesia and again I think they don't care enough with their torto cause I saw many pyramiding tortoises they have even sometimes they sell their torto until $ 2,000 :( that's why my friend suggest me to join this forum and I see many torto keeper are really dedicate their life to love torto here

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Helmy welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA
Hi grandpa :D nice to meet you :)

anyway thanks for your welcome

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*sending out a long distance wave* Welcome! Glad you have joined us. I hope we can learn a few things from you too about caring for tortoises in your country.

The reason we advise to not keep the different species of tortoises together is because they may not all have the same environmental needs (like humidity levels), or perhaps the same dietary needs, they may carry hidden diseases which one tortoise can handle but another type may not be able to handle it and could die, plus there are different temperaments to be wary of like many sulcatas can be bullies to other tortoises. These are just a few of the possible problems with keeping various species together. Some people do it and have no problems, but odds work against you on that.

h3ln1k

Semarang City, Indonesia
Jacqui said:
*sending out a long distance wave* Welcome! Glad you have joined us. I hope we can learn a few things from you too about caring for tortoises in your country.

The reason we advise to not keep the different species of tortoises together is because they may not all have the same environmental needs (like humidity levels), or perhaps the same dietary needs, they may carry hidden diseases which one tortoise can handle but another type may not be able to handle it and could die, plus there are different temperaments to be wary of like many sulcatas can be bullies to other tortoises. These are just a few of the possible problems with keeping various species together. Some people do it and have no problems, but odds work against you on that.
thanks for your explanation jacqui, I've changed my substrate into dirt from yard as suggested by Yvonne and still make another enclosure to separate my tortoises

sonykurniawan

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Welcome aboard brother.. Glad you join this forum.. You can learn a lot of things here. Enjoy your stay and keep improving :D