Tort update/ questions

Jaid10

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi guys! It’s been a while since I’ve been on the forum so I thought I’d give an update and while I’m at it I’ll ask some questions. For those of you who don’t know me (most of you) here’s the story of my two torts in the past.
For my fifth birthday my parents got me a baby Sulcata tortoise, who I named Shelly.Although I loved her to death but had no idea how to take care of her. For 6 years she got terrible care (yes, I’m 11). All she ate was lettuce and she lived in a small aquarium with a heat lamp, so as you can imagine she’s very small and is pyramiding. I regret it terribley and would do anything to take it back.
For my 11th birthday in May, I got another baby Sulcata named Stone. I still didn’t know how to take care of her. One day I had a question about her/him so I decided to look online.
I’m so grateful that I happened to stumble upon this forum! From there I learned how to properly care of my babies!
I moved my older one to a 10 by 10 foot enclosure where she ate grass and had a water container big enough to go in.
Meanwhile my other one got a better enclosure and I gave her soaks, fed her proper food, moisturized her cage, etc...

Shelly update (6 yo): sadly it has gotten to cold for her to live in her 10 by 10 outdoor enclosure. We had to move her back to her tiny enclosure. We plan on making her a permanent 10 by 4 enclosure as soon as we can though. She is healthy and growing fast! She is on a health diet and is getting soaked as much as possible.

Shelly questions: does anyone have any ideas Or tips on her future or temporary cage?

Stone update (3 mo): She is on a healthy diet and is in a big enclosure and I’m giving her baths as often as I can.

Stone questions:she’s not eating as much as I expect her to, only about half a peice of lettuce a day is that normal? Her water bowl is smaller and every time i fill it up gone in 5 minutes, what should I do? She has low energy and is barely ever on the move, should I be concerned? I know that I’m supposed to not feed her grass when she’s too young but when is the right age to do that?

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask me questions!

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

What part of the “USA” are you living at, since many answers do depend on your location. Someplace thst gets cold I take it.

Pictures of both torts would help ppl help you regarding good enclosures. It’s not easy providing large indoor spaces, let alone, proper heat, light, food and humidity.

A half piece of lettuce is not a good sign - especially since lettuce is not a very nutritious food to begin with. Water is gone because it’s being drank, spilled or evaporating?

Yes, you need to be concerned...low energy, not eating much... not good signs.

Upload pix of your set ups, let folks help you out.

Happy Torting

Jaid10

USA
Greetings.

What part of the “USA” are you living at, since many answers do depend on your location. Someplace thst gets cold I take it.

Pictures of both torts would help ppl help you regarding good enclosures. It’s not easy providing large indoor spaces, let alone, proper heat, light, food and humidity.

A half piece of lettuce is not a good sign - especially since lettuce is not a very nutritious food to begin with. Water is gone because it’s being drank, spilled or evaporating?

Yes, you need to be concerned...low energy, not eating much... not good signs.

Upload pix of your set ups, let folks help you out.

Happy Torting
Ok. She is on spring mix and the water evaporates. I’m not home right now and I don’t have any pics but I’ll get them to you asap

daniellenc

Maryland
She’s probably too cold. When you post pics also tell us how you heat and provide UV.

Jaid10

USA
She’s probably too cold. When you post pics also tell us how you heat and provide UV.
Yeah, she might be cold. She has a heat lamp, I’m not sure what kind. I’ve been trying to get a UVB bulb for both of them for months. It’s just I can’t really afford $40 for a bulb and lamp for two tortoises.

daniellenc

Maryland
Yeah, she might be cold. She has a heat lamp, I’m not sure what kind. I’ve been trying to get a UVB bulb for both of them for months. It’s just I can’t really afford $40 for a bulb and lamp for two tortoises.

Well enlist the parents help! Price out two UVB tubes, explain why the torts need them, and ask what you can do to earn the money. Your parents bought you two sulcatas and as the adults they had to know this endeavor was really their responsibility financially.