Tort staying on the cool side

BobbyJ

jist out of curiosity does anyone have torts that prefer to stay on the cool side of the enclosure , my guy has been doing this lately and I'm not sure why , he constantly stays on the cool side where's its 75 ish sometimes 70 degrees

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Once in a while my leopard will get in the coldest area of his shed and it's usually by his door where in the winter can get really cold, so I have to block it. Also, my girl leopards like the shade more then the sun, even on the days that's not real hot.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
jist out of curiosity does anyone have torts that prefer to stay on the cool side of the enclosure , my guy has been doing this lately and I'm not sure why , he constantly stays on the cool side where's its 75 ish sometimes 70 degrees

It is not unusual, just be sure that the area you offer as the cooler area is not a high humidity area....a little is fine, just not high constant cool humidity...just my take.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Redfoot tortoises never stay in the heat very long. Through careful and accidental research I've found that 78-80 degrees is the favorite lounging temperature. Outside now it's in the eighties and everyone is hiding in their burrows.
The area that my baby chooses to sleep is about 77 degrees overnight.