Tort safe snow?

CloudyDay

Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire
I really want to bring my tort into Christmas but I would imagine normal fake snow would possibly harm him and real snow is obviously too cold. Is there a tort safe fake snow that I can buy to bring him into the Christmas spirit of my family?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you saying you'd like to decorate your tortoise 's enclosure? You could use a white cloth instead of snow material.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I wouldn't trust anything that isn't a tort safe substrate in the enclosure and there's also the fire hazard with his lamps to consider too.
Hopefully someone will come up with a safe idea for you.

CloudyDay

Yorkshire
Thats what i was thinking with the white cloth that it could be easily burnt, i think if there is no safe artificial white turf, i should try and find some white or light coloured substrate, thanks

CloudyDay

Yorkshire
Don't forget torts don't like change so it could be stressful for him to alter things just for Xmas.

I didnt want to change the whole set up of his tank, just create a little play area he can be in when we get him out. But i will make sure hes comfortable with the transitions

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises don’t play, they’re not social, and they feel safest and least stressed in the environment they know with all 4 feet on the ground.

Other than a move to an outdoor enclosure when the weather is right, they are best off with an unchanging properly sized enclosure.

By all means decorate round the enclosure, but leave your tort in its usual surroundings and routine otherwise

CloudyDay

Yorkshire
I never said I would move the enclosure and in Winter i am fairly certain he would die in an outside place. You have to get them out ever so often, that is what i meant

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Personally, I would not take that risk, if so I may call it.

Better be safe than sorry.