Tort not growing.

Turbotort

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
That's a good idea. I should try that rather than putting it in the water for soaks. Buuuuuuut... my fiancé convinced me to weigh him this morning. A whopping 30g's. Nothing is working. I don't think hes going to make it. Almost of month now of all this extra work and still no weight gains. This is Rediculous. . .

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
Oh man!!!! I hope just a bit more time will make a difference. I wonder if you make like a brooder box, and put him in tgat so he has nothing to do but eat, if it will help. Bump up the temps a bit and see if it helps. Doesn't sound like he's doing good at all. :-( at least he is eating.

Turbotort

Florida
I was trying to stay hopeful but its been mooooonths and no growth. Temps are good. Min 90s and 100+ basking and mid 80's on cool side and heat at night. Sigh

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am sorry to hear of your frustrations. Don't get discouraged yet though. Is he still eating? If so, that is a positive thing and means it's not a completely hopeless case.

It's been about 2 months since you've started this thread. Could you give us a run down with lots of details about your current set up and routines with him? I think this would give us all the whole picture and we could give some more effective suggestions. A picture of your set up will help too.

Turbotort

Florida
Alright well I've had him in this setup for I think 2 months now after moving him from and aquarium. I keep the hhumidity up around 80% at all times. The temps are always in the 90s hot side and mid 80s cool side with basking spot around 103.

I soak him everyday and for the last 2 1/2 weeks I've been putting liquid calcium in the water. The hardest part for me is proper nutrition. He just won't eat hardly anything besides romaine. Green leaf lettuce, or butter lettuce. I've tried radacchio, kale, endive, collard greens. And a few other things.

I try to put mazuri on romaine and hand feed him every couple days sense he won't eat mazuri by itself. He gets plenty of sun as well sense I live in florida. So I don't have a uv bulb in the enclosure. Ihave a kiddie pool with testudo growing but its been raining for almost 2 weeks and its starting to die :/ He will nibble on the young sprouts but not much else.

So at this point im just very frustrated. My tort just isnt growing. And there have been other members that have had leos that size for almost 2 years before they pass. Meh...

Attachments

• 20150730_121935.jpg
    20150730_121935.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 20150730_121922.jpg
    20150730_121922.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 20150730_124300.jpg
    20150730_124300.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 39

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I have a tortoise that stopped growing as you are describing. She went multiple months without growth.
She doing great now. She is growing about 10% a month. Just saying don't give up on your tortoise.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'm really sorry you are having such a hard time. I know how frustrated you are feeling. I agree with Keepergale and Neal though, he is still eating so don't give up. I still would add a Powersun bulb. I know he gets outside a lot, but I really noticed a difference with my two once I added that bulb. Coincidence maybe, but if you can afford to pick one up I think its worth a try.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Your temperatures sound good and I don't see any glaring issues with your set up.

How often are you feeding him? and will he eat the mazuri when it's mixed with romaine?

Other suggestions for food items that I didn't see you list: Cactus, mulberry leaves and grape leaves are all readily eaten by my leopards. When introducing new foods it helps to chop the new foods in small quantities and mix it well with the foods the tortoise does eat. You can gradually reduce the romaine and increase the "better food" over time until he eats it by itself.

In addition to that, I think a great option for you to do is to ad some edible plants in your enclosure.

Check out the seed mixes from Tortoisesupply.
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

Any of those mixes would work well for leopards. I would recommend getting the broadleaf testudo mix and the African Grazer grass mix.

All else consider, I think your objective here to get the tortoise on the right track should be to stuff his face with as much food as he will eat as often as he wants. Growing food in the enclosure allows him to eat and graze much like a tortoise would do in the wild.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I would try soaked Muzuri, chopped collards fine. Feed after a good soaking, even my most finicky eaters go for this combo!

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Someone earlier suggested radicchio. I think all tortoises would eat this even with a tiny dusting of supplement. I am a believer in Rapashy brand supplements. Tortoises seem to not be put off by the taste.

Turbotort

Florida
I will try and get a mvb soon. I've tried radacchio and he won't eat it. With the mvb's would a 75w heat as well as a 75w basking bulb?

For testudo mix I did try to grow some inside but it grew like bean sprouts and didn't really develop leafs. Any suggestions on that? Like would I need a uva bulb or something?

I'm not giving up yet!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I will try and get a mvb soon. I've tried radacchio and he won't eat it. With the mvb's would a 75w heat as well as a 75w basking bulb?

For testudo mix I did try to grow some inside but it grew like bean sprouts and didn't really develop leafs. Any suggestions on that? Like would I need a uva bulb or something?

I'm not giving up yet!
Yeah you would need a grow light or full spectrum light of some kind to have better luck inside. I'm having decent luck growing stuff on my deck in plastic sweater tubs. I did that on my balcony when I lived in my apartment and it worked there too.

The Powersun comes in 100w and 160w. For your enclosure I would get the 100w, that will be more than powerful enough. The MVB acts as both ( heat and basking (providing the UV). During the day, I use the MVB and a CHE. The CHE is on a thermostat. At night I use two CHE's.

Turbotort

Florida
Anyone have a recommendation on a full spectrum light? I see a bunch of coil types and wouldn't want one like that sense the coil uvb ones are bad to use.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
ZooMed Powersun. You can order them online or just go to your local petsmart and pick one up.

Turbotort

Florida
Yeah I see the 100w mvb for around 50. But I was wondering of anyone could recommend a good full spectrum light so I can fill his enclosure with the testudo mix. That would be a great way for him to get a varied diet.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Yeah I see the 100w mvb for around 50. But I was wondering of anyone could recommend a good full spectrum light so I can fill his enclosure with the testudo mix. That would be a great way for him to get a varied diet.
Gotchya...good idea. Let me know if it works for you, I want to do something like that myself.

Turbotort

Florida
Yeah I'll go to home depot next week and see what they have and try to add the light into the enclosure so I can start growing the plants again. I may have to wait a bit on the mvb but I'll eventually get it.