health issue or behavoir issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
Hello all, Im gonna try too condense this down as much as possible so not too bore you.I have three leopards the 2" one is 35 grams Ive had him about 6 weeks,when i first got him he would eat o.k (collards,turnip greens and so fourth)about three weeks ago he stopped eating he will take a bite of whatever i offer and walk away,he seems too be looking for food as he walks around the enclousure,as imentioned in previous posts as a last resort i offered him romaine and he eats it like crazy. so ive gone too chopping romaine, mazuri and optunia in the food processor,he will eat this as long as the mixture is heavy with romaine. IM boggled by this, i mean ive gotten snakes that people were ready too force feed,and tried different things only too find that particular snake would only eat at night while my others(same species)would feed whenever.that too me is a behavior issue.but with this tort im not sure what it is.can anyone help with this my enclosure conditions are now a combination of the fife book and this forum im using orchid bark 85 degree ambient 105 degree bask im soaking daily 10/15 min daylight is 530 am till700 pm thanks for any help you all can offer john ps im useing 10.0 tubes right now waiting for my mvb too arrive and my new enclousure too be completed

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Try mashing some mazuri into a paste and spread a thin layer on romaine. If it wants to eat the romaine, it will have to eat some mazuri. Once it starts to gain some weight, I'll bet that the appetite increases. I would offer food as often as it will eat right now.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I haven't had any issues with Tico eating, but I do notice that if I feed pumpkin he makes sure to devour anything that has any bit of pumpkin on it. You could try throwing some of that in the processor with the other greens and maybe that will entice your little one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really like the Mazuri idea. This will ensure that he's getting balance nutrition too.

I don't know where you live in the country, but all of mine seem to have much more appetite when they are out in the sun. I speculate that the natural UV from the sun makes the food "look" better to them or possibly they just feel "energized" when they are in the sun.

Maybe your MVB will have a similar effect once it arrives.

John

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I really like the Mazuri idea. This will ensure that he's getting balance nutrition too.

I don't know where you live in the country, but all of mine seem to have much more appetite when they are out in the sun. I speculate that the natural UV from the sun makes the food "look" better to them or possibly they just feel "energized" when they are in the sun.

Maybe your MVB will have a similar effect once it arrives.
Hey tom thanks for the response its too cold out here now im thinking the same thing with the mvb ALSO I AM HARD HEADED AND IN TRYING TOO AVOID LETTUCE I DIDNT LISTEN TOO MANY OF YOU ON THE FORUM,I RECIEVED A RESPONSE FROM RICHARD FIFE WHO SAID SPRING MIX AS MANY OF YOU HAVE SO I WENT AND GOT IT AND SURE ENOUGH HE S EATIN IT I AM GOING TOO CONTINUE TOO SNEAK IN THE MAZURI ON HIM THOUGH I NEED TOO SEE SOME WEIGHT GAIN THANKS AGAIN JOHN

Status
Not open for further replies.