Tort not growing.

JBurer

I had good success with mine by increasing the spotlight temp... did this after talking to a couple breeders and doing a test of ground temps in TX sun, which would show 115+ on a 9X degree ambient day. Noticed markedly improved behavior when I couldn't get them outside.

Important that you have a gradient, though... with 80 degrees on the cold side and access to water at all times.

I found my midpoint temp in the enclosure was high 80s / low 90s. Spot basking temp between 110 and 11X.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
All you can do is provide optimal diet and environment. In these cases from what I have seen they either make it over the hump, or they don't. I really hope, one day all of the sudden he will start growing for you. As long as he is eating and active, there is hope.

Turbotort

Florida
I have a 75w basking bulb currently but im thinking of switching to a 100w. The temps are high but not that high. here are a couple pics I just took before going to work.

Attachments

• 20150624_120354.jpg
    20150624_120354.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 20150624_120343.jpg
    20150624_120343.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
  • 20150624_120239.jpg
    20150624_120239.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Have you tried cactus pads? That is an all time favorite of my two. Also, I can't remember if you mentioned this or not but have you taken him to the vet? He could have parasites or another medical issue going on. Some vets will let you just drop off a poo sample and they will examine it for parasites rather than taking the whole tortoise in.

Turbotort

Florida
No I haven't taken him to a vet. If I can find one that'll do just a stool sample I will do that. I can't afford a full blown vet visit atm. Which cactus pads do you use again? And I'm thinking of putting organic soil in there and plant that tetsudo mkx in there.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
The testudo mix would be a great idea. I just ordered cactus pads from tortoisesupply.com. You can get them from Amazon also. Just do a search for "spineless opuntia cactus pads". I paid about $65 for the two poop tests at my exotic vet (they are really expensive though). Should be less for one test. Most vets that see birds can treat tortoises as well. I know theres an avain vet near Clearwater, my parents used to take their cockatoo there. I don't know how far that is from you but I can look up their contact info for you if you want.

Turbotort

Florida
Yeah I'll continue to do what I can but it's been quite discouraging. Nothing seems to work :/ I hope my tort doesn't go to sleep one night and does wake up that would be so heart breaking :( I am ok wiyh slow growth but 3 months and always between 32-36g something just isn't right.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I felt that way too...its hard. But you are doing a good job so keep it up! I did a lot of baby food soaks too...I don't know if it helped or not...but they did get better so maybe it did. I don't know for sure about tortoises, but if its anything like parrots, parasites will cause a lack of weight gain and even weight loss...I'd definitely get a poop sample to a vet asap. Get some baby food carrots and soak him twice a day in the meantime. And order some cactus pads if you can.

Turbotort

Florida
4lb box of spinless pads ordered and 6oz bag of testudo mix as well. Hopefully get it by Saturday. Hang in there little guy!

JBurer

Turbotort - cactus pads are great but keep in mind you're going to have to chop them up really tiny for a tortoise that small. At least with mine, when they were 32g in size they did not have the jaw strength to bite through even sectioned (ie. a slice down the middle, making the pad 1/2 as thick) pieces.

Turbotort

Florida
Yeah I planned on that. He can't bite through much at the moment. We'll just have to wait and see if he will even eat it. I must have one of the most picky torts ever. Lol

JBurer

Mine increased in appetite and activity level dramatically with more time outside... and with higher temps inside.

Turbotort

Florida
I called the vet I take my two small dogs too and they said they can do a stool analysis for only $20. So I'll be doing that as soon as I can. Also do you think mazuri has enough calcium in it that I don't need to add more powder into the mix?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'd add more if he's not eating the mazuri that well. I sprinkle a multi-vitamin on my guys' food every Wednesday and do calcium two to three times a week.

Turbotort

Florida
Well there isnt too much to report. But I am moved and was able to setup a kiddie pool out back. I'm growing testudo mix in it currently. He's nibbling o. It but not going to town yet. I am now giving him soaks with liquid calcium a couple times a week sense he won't eat it if I sprinkle it on something.

Other than that he's still doing fine. I haven't weighed him in about two weeks. I am just going to do it monthly now so I stop worrying so much. All I can do is give it time and wait and see if he grows eventually.

Turbotort

Florida
Quick update.

I haven't weighed my tort for three weeka now. I'm going to wait one more week and see where he's at
I gave him butter lettuce and he seems to like it a lot. Anyone know if its completely void of nutrition or if it's possibly better than romaine?

It's been raining for almost 2 weeks straight in Tampa so I haven't gotten him outside for sun much and to graze on the testudo. I've been looking at his shell for yellow marka for possible growth. There miiiight be a hint but its hard to tell. I guess we will see next week!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I don't know about the butter lettuce. I can't remember if you said you tried this or not, but have you tried radicchio? Hoping for the best for the weigh in results!