Diet questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niffer10

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi all,
Just wanted to check a few things about diet. At the end of the month I'll buy some seeds and start to grow flowers for our little tort, but I've been keeping a record of what she's been eating and trying to keep it varied. I'm going to go for a country stroll tomorrow and try to find some more exciting weeds.

This is her diet from the past week though-
7/5- kale (so won't be having any more kale for a while) red pepper (nor red pepper!) romaine lettuce
8/5-dandelion, plantain, clover, Rose petals, about 5 pellets
9/5-dandelion, plantain, clover, calcium
10/5- romaine lettuce, dandelion, clover plantain pansy leaves
11/5-dandelion, clover, plantain, Rose petals, pansy leaves, calcium.

I'd like to find some honeysuckle tomorrow and maybe some mallow/sow thistle, just to give her some more variety don't want her to get bored and I've Read dandelion isn't great every day. Can Russian horsefields eat buddleia!? Only seen it on one website so unsure :s also bramble leaves like blackberry leaves are they safe if you remove the thorns?
Thank you everyone :) :tort:

Niffer10

5 Year Member
UK
I'm pretty lucky where I live we've got two 'commons' massive fields and woods and some more woods and country walks hopefully they'll be like a weed treasure trove :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you plan to pick weeds along side a busy highway, I would re-think that idea. I've noticed that the plants along-side the highway have a black tinge to them. Probably from the emissions and tire bits from the cars going by.

Niffer10

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks guys will so, think I'll have to worry about animal's spraying on the plants a bit more, give them a good wash!

will do*

John

5 Year Member
I may be wrong but I thought pansies were on a toxic list,maybe i'm thinkin of something else?

Niffer10

5 Year Member
UK
Ooh, I've seen this;
Edible Plants for Tortoises and Turtles

There are many common ornamental and garden plants that turtles and tortoise relish. The scientific names for plants are provided in parentheses. These names are used world-wide. Common/regional names are also used however these names may vary. One should always use the scientific name when selecting plants to insure that the correct plant is selected. Plants should be free of residues from herbicides, insecticides, fungicides and fertilizers. The plants listed below are considered safe and non-toxic for our shelled pets.

Tropical Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) flowers and leaves
Blue Hibiscus (Alyogyne huegelii) flowers
Chinese Lantern (Abutilon hybridum) flowers
Rose (Rosa spps) blossoms
Geraniums (Pelargonium spps) flowers
Mulberry tree (Morus alba) leaves
Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) leaves and flowers
Nasturtiums (Tropaeolum majus) flowers
Pansies (Viola) flowers

I've seen pansies on quite a few care sheets, any ideas anyone else? Do other people's torts eat pansies?
Also any idea about buddlehia!? I've never seen buddlehia is ok, also it's quite a high plant, normally flowers very high, so was very unsure on this one. Thanks squamata :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Last time I checked pansies were ok, my tortoises love them :). Glad you are trying to give your tortoise a varried diet, you have one lucky tortoise :)! The thing with the spraying is I would not feed it to my tort even if you wash them again and again because in my opinion, the stuff goes in the leaves.

Niffer10

5 Year Member
UK
Ace I can't wait to get planting!! I hope she's happy!! I do love her :)
Ah ok will steer well clear :)

Status
Not open for further replies.