TORT CARRIERS- WHAT DO YOU USE?

motherofharriet

Hi all,

My 2 year old sulcata, Harriet, is not looking well. She is exhibiting most classic symptoms of a respiratory infection. She has a vet appt. in 2 days. This will be her first time seeing a vet, and the first time I've had to transport her in cooler weather. I live in Detroit, and it is still quite chilly here. The drive is about 20-25 minutes each way, and I want it to be as comfortable and stress-free as possible for my baby.

Any suggestions???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Put her in a box with a towel and then also cover the box. Don't make it too big of a box so there isn't too much sliding around. The heat from your car will also help to keep her warm. Good luck, hope it's a quick recovery.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I use a plastic tote with hay for mine to hide. Wear a tshirt & crank the heat in your car.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
20 - 25 minutes? Wrap a hot water bottle or even a coke bottle filled with hot water in a dish towel and place it in a container big enough for harper and the bottle. On the way home just heat up the car with the car heater. Short trips at a little less than 80 is not going to hurt.

You can also put the container on the floor in the passenger side. The floor of a car gets warm and turn on the heat to the floor. I have transported my babies in the dead of winter like this on 4 - 5 hour trips. Not comfortable for the human in the car but very tort friendly. :)