Tort bath

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think the confusion is in the word 'bathe.' You're not actually giving your tortoise a bath, with soap and a wash cloth, you're "soaking" him in order to hydrate him.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Good job! My Sulcata have all been rescues in one way or another, so I have never had a good looking Sulcata. I love them and would have more if I could.
This picture is from 4 or 5 years ago...I was really happy about tortoises then.
View attachment 317670
That nice of you to take on rescues, but 1 Tortoise is all I can handle with my other pets.
2 Jack Russell dogs, 2 cats , 1 bird "Rosie Bourke
Parakeet had 2 but 1 pasted away last month. They were a pair for many years. Woody is a male. I understand you have bird also.

20210204_110936.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
That nice of you to take on rescues, but 1 Tortoise is all I can handle with my other pets.
2 Jack Russell dogs, 2 cats , 1 bird "Rosie Bourke
Parakeet had 2 but 1 pasted away last month. They were a pair for many years. Woody is a male. I understand you have bird also.
lol a bird???? I have 16 parakeets and 4 eggs in a nest.
I operated a small turtle and tortoise rescue for a number of years, so I have 'pets' from then, missing legs, missing eyes, blind and just a bad temperment.
This is my living room with several of my birds cages
100_4911.JPG
100_6004.JPG
100_6012.JPG

So I have 16 parakeets, 3 tortoises, 15 box turtles and 1 water turtle
2 cats, Simon is a 35 lb Main Coon

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I'm sorry...I was kinda being sarcastic...I have had tortoises for about 20 years now, I do not bathe them. My tortoises live outside mostly and dirt is part of living. Nobody gives them "baths" and I soak them for hydration, and everybody except for those living in the UK, soak not bathe. Baths and soaking are not the same thing, and nobody is there in the Savannah to bathe them if they get dirty. I just think that new keepers obsess over nothing making things harder. Some day all tortoise keepers will S-O-A-K their tortoises, not B-A-T-H-E :)
You would be surprised to know that many new keepers ask why they need to "bathe", as in wash, their tortoise.
Yeah bathe as in I let my tort soak for hydration and to keep his shell looking nice. I don't obsess over them though since Russian tortoises do not need to be wet a lot since they retain their water more to stay hydrated due to their natural environments.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I operated a small turtle and tortoise rescue for a number of years, so I have 'pets' from then, missing legs, missing eyes, blind and just a bad temperment.
View attachment 317682
View attachment 317683
View attachment 317684

Jeez...
Where do you keep everything?

Dcatalano

Colorado
Yeah bathe as in I let my tort soak for hydration and to keep his shell looking nice. I don't obsess over them though since Russian tortoises do not need to be wet a lot since they retain their water more to stay hydrated due to their natural environments.
My RT loves his “baths”. He’s become very social and wants to visit when I’m drinking coffee and watching his very exciting soak time. :)

Attachments

• AD09259C-6798-4B4C-AFBB-2F8871171F46.jpeg
    AD09259C-6798-4B4C-AFBB-2F8871171F46.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 25

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
View attachment 317682
View attachment 317683
View attachment 317684

You don't have pets, you have a Zoo. For over 20 yrs. My sons and I raised Box Turtles in the back yard. At one time I had a least 50 Turtles. We were averaging 30 baby a year. I never sold then, I would always give them away in pairs. I stop raising them about 10 yrs. ago, I found one of my baby's that was chewed on from a rat. I gather all of my Turtles up and put them on my 5 acres in West Virginia.

Dcatalano

Colorado
he is beautiful!!!! where did you get him? wish mine was that pleasant!
Thank you. He was a classroom pet at our local Montessori school for over 10 years. I’m not sure where he was prior to that, other than with a family who had kids at the school. Due to Covid and needing more space in current times, he has come to live with us. He was well cared for but didn’t receive much outdoor time or soaking. Hopefully we can pamper him more now!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Smokey
View attachment 317717
and Simon, he gained 2 pounds last year, bringing him to 35 lbs
View attachment 317718
Nice looking cats, my 2 cat are of normal weight and are sisters, Itzzy and Tigger. Received a call to rescue 1 Kitty and left with two, only about six weeks old at that time. Now one of my Irish Jack Russell dogs Buttons is a little over weight, Irish Jacks20180114_190742.jpg20201127_090138.jpg have short legs. So when she wants to lay down she just rolls over, mostly for a belly rub.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Nice looking cats, my 2 cat are of normal weight and are sisters, Itzzy and Tigger. Received a call to rescue 1 Kitty and left with two, only about six weeks old at that time. Now one of my Irish Jack Russell dogs Buttons is a little over weight, Irish JacksView attachment 317726View attachment 317727 have short legs. So when she wants to lay down she just rolls over, mostly for a belly rub.
She's all belly!!! My Simon is bigger than your dog! Simon is 1/2 Maine Coon and 1/2 Norwegian Forrest Cat. He's 7 years old. I have had him for a year. He has a slow growing melanoma in his right eye, when I got him the iris was about half brown and in a year the brown now covers all his iris. Smokey is 12 and I have had him for a year also. Opps! We will get reprimanded for hijacking this thread.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
She's all belly!!! My Simon is bigger than your dog! Simon is 1/2 Maine Coon and 1/2 Norwegian Forrest Cat. He's 7 years old. I have had him for a year. He has a slow growing melanoma in his right eye, when I got him the iris was about half brown and in a year the brown now covers all his iris. Smokey is 12 and I have had him for a year also. Opps! We will get reprimanded for hijacking this thread.
That nice, Sorry