Indoor enclosure & temps

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Wondering if I could get some input on my Russian Indoor enclosure.
I just got Martha (who I thought was a Martin!) on Sunday from Petco after loosing my rescued Sulcata so I am completely paranoid that I have a good set up for her. She is eating like a pig (good assortment of greens, TNT, Calcium/D3, & I have more mixes growing) She is decently active. She is in her hide most of the early day, but wonders around quite a bit. Today was the first day she was actually waiting by her food dish for her 7:30 am feeding. I want to add a ramp & second story soon. She will get an outside enclosure for summer as well.

Please be critical, I can take it :) I am having issues getting the temps on the cool side up. first pic is all the info. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5341 copy.jpg
    IMG_5341 copy.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5339.jpg
    IMG_5339.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5342.jpg
    IMG_5342.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 56

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi :) I was looking at your enclosure, and I really like it. I just had one question, and maybe I'm just not seeing it in the picture, but does your enclosure have a top on it?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
AZtortMom said:
Hi :) I was looking at your enclosure, and I really like it. I just had one question, and maybe I'm just not seeing it in the picture, but does your enclosure have a top on it?

Thanks!
It does have a lid, it is a thin pc of wood with a plastic reflective insulation sheet covering it.

Attachments

• IMG_5344.JPG
    IMG_5344.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5343.JPG
    IMG_5343.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 37

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russians don't need a lot of humidity or high temps. An adult on,y needs about 30% humidity and you can do this in just a humid hide. They also can take a lot lower temps. I would keep the basking spot as is. However I would lower the majority of the area to about 75-78 degrees and the lows are fine as long as it's not also humid at the times it's low and she can warm herself up, which you have covered with the other temps. I would also get the second level on or make the first level bigger. Russians, though small, need a lot of space as they are used to roaming many miles in the wild.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hmm.. I'm not real experienced when it comes to Russians. Maybe one of my fellow forum peeps can chime in one how high to bring temps on a Russian.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
wellington said:
Russians don't need a lot of humidity or high temps. An adult on,y needs about 30% humidity and you can do this in just a humid hide. They also can take a lot lower temps. I would keep the basking spot as is. However I would lover the majority of the area to about 75-78 degrees and the lows are fine as long as it's not also humid and you she can warm herself up, which you have covered with the other temps.

Thanks for the info. Would you consider her an adult at 4 inches? ( see attached pic) If so, I will take the humidifier out & place it in the room in general instead of taking up the room in her tank. It would be great to give her more space anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_5345.JPG
    IMG_5345.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 35