Top layer of shell seems to be coming off?

Metalfist

Location (City and/or State)
Stabroek
Hi!

My greek tortoise has been out of hibernation for a while (since easter), but today i noticed a small flake on her shell? It looks like the top layer is coming off a bit but I'm not sure if I should be worried. It's around the brown part on the picture.

20230517_174829.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is there something that the tortoise could have rubbed it on?

Metalfist

Stabroek
She has the habit of getting under my conifers bush, but it doesn't feel like it has an ending if you get what I mean. It's not something that is lying on top. It also cracks in little pieces if I try to get if off

She did seem quite annoyed when I investigated it btw. She just got up and left but I don't know if it hurts her

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Try to clean it with water and a toothbrush. Gently. Then post another picture. Don't pull it off.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi I think it is continued knocking agree clean it up and do not peel! Ensure correct diet and provide calcium to help shell growth. You can also apply coconut oil to the shell to help moisturise. Can you trim or cut the offending conifer?

Metalfist

Stabroek
What do you mean with continued knocking? I tried with the toothbrush but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I attached a new picture

20230519_131214.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
It looks like an old injury, but I am not an expert. @Yvonne G should be able to help.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
You can see new growth underneath with pigment for some reason in the past years there was damage and now it is getting rid of old by flaking it off. The scute has edges and they are all good, I say watch it but let it be and do not peel. Ensure cacium is in the diet as beak, shell, bones and claws need it.

Metalfist

Stabroek
Thanks for the checkup everyone! It's an old lady (+50 years according to my mom) and she was taken care of by my grandfather but I took her in when he died so I can't say for how long she had that..