Took in a rescue last night, need help with ID and covered nostrils!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone,
I need your collective expertise to help me out. I took in this little gal last night who needs some TLC. She’s between 3-5 years old. For the past year she was kept in a 20 gallon fish tank kept at 90F and fed only meal worms. She had a small bowl of water. To add insult to injury, she was kept on ‘pet store sand’ and the dyes leached into her skin and shell. Her skin and edges of her shell are tinted red. Considering how she was kept for the past year she’s in pretty good condition. She’s feisty and raring to go. I think she wants to run as far as she can from where she was being kept!

My biggest concern is what appears to be a respiratory infection that has covered her nostrils, see pic #3. A flexible pocket of pus has formed over her nostrils and she can barely breathe. I gave her a nice warm bath last night and worked at the covering for a bit. I was able to uncover ½ a nostril. I think I’ll continue on this path unless anyone can recommend another course of action.

Additionally, I need a definitive classification (see first 2 pics), I’m thinking Ornata, what do you all think?

Thanks in advance for the help.
fiesty girl.JPGfiesty girl 2.JPGfiesty girl nose.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Maggie Cummings

T. ornata ornata. Her beak is over grown also. I don't have a clue what that is covering her nares but it sounds like you have that part under control, I'd do again today what you did last night. Does it feel like you are ripping off skin?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can trim off all that light-colored edge on her beak. I can't see what you're seeing on the nostrils, but if you can peel it off, do it. They usually don't breathe through their mouth except to gasp, so open nares is a must for turtles and tortoises.

She also looks a bit swollen to me. That might be a kidney problem, but don't really know.

I've noticed that if I have a box turtle that doesn't feel well, he likes to sit in the water all day and sometimes even all night. So let her soak. It won't hurt.

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!
I don't have any medical advice, but I just wanted to ask, are you sure that "she" isn't actually a "he"? Red eyes usually mean it's a male.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Unless she has some developing to do (which is entirely possible, due to an unconfirmed age) she's a girl.

I know it's a weird combo! I've only seen it once or twice before.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Agreed :D It is a female T.o.ornata. It sounds more like a nasal infection than a respiratory infection. Keep doing what your doing for her nose and add a triple antibiotic ointment to the regime. :)

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

I have a 3-legged female Ornata and she has red eyes...I have 3 of them and the other 2 have bluish brown eyes.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the advice, Dan. After her spa treatment last night I put ointment on her nose and this morning there is a noticeable difference in the swelling. I can see about 1/3 of each nostril and hear some air going in and out. She's extra feisty also!

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm so glad to hear that she's doing much better after your treatments. Please keep us updated on her. :)

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Update: the swelling over her nose has gone down by half the volume it was and 1/2 of each nostril has been uncovered. Her activity has increased and she's accepting foods other than meal worms.

My next decision I'd like input on: Should I put her outside? She's spent the last year in a fish tank and really think she'd benefit from some good-old-fashioned-sun! My concern is will it be too much for her? I don't want to overexcite her and wear her out causing her immune system to not fight the infection in her nose. Weather here is hot, 90+. She'd be in a quarantine pen, 3ft x 3ft, plenty of shade areas and dirt to dig into. Additionally, an automatic mini-sprinkler system comes on twice daily during the hottest hours to cool things down. Nights are around 60F.

Thanks again for all your input.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think she would benefit from the sun and being outside. The enclosure you describe sounds perfect. As long as she has plenty of places to hide and get out of the heat. The only thing is I would be careful that she doesn't get dirt in her nose, until it's completely healed. I don't think you would overexcite her by putting her outside...It's where she should be. Just my 2 cents and what I would do.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
UPDATE:
Feisty girl is doing well. She's been outside for almost a week and putting on weight, getting more social, and trying new foods...still having trouble getting her to eat much of them. I know that will come in time!

Her infection in/on her nose is clearing up. I can see nostrils again. See picture attached. I'll be trimming her beak today.

I think she'll be ready for a new home soon. If anyone is interested, contact me. She was a rescue, so I'm not looking to make any money. I'd like to recoup expenses and make sure she'll go to a good home.

Attachments

• fiesty girl.jpg
    fiesty girl.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.