fungus that leads to shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackcat38

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
north wales, UK
This is a tortoise I’m considering buying but I need some advice before I decide
owner saying it’s a female, about 2.5 yrs, scl 12cm and 292g, which all sounded ok. Then she sent pics of her, she’s got white stuff on her plastron, I don’t know if it’s a fungus that can cause shell rot, I’ve never had fungus or shell rot with my others, can any body tell me what it is or if it’s normal? I asked her if it was fungus and she said it had been like that the whole time she’s had her (about a year) and it’s never changed.
Also If it is fungus how long will it take to clean up?

pics038-1-1.jpg

do you think she is a she?

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
I'm going with shell rot cause it looks like some pics I've seen, and I say it is a girl cause its tail looks like my torts. Theres a thread stuck up top that talks about how to cure shell rot...... Lets wait for Danny and see if I'm right lol pobally not :D

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
Yes it kinds does look like shell rot and it doesent really look like a she to me it's only 2.5 years old it has a short tail but looks already too big to be a female and it starting to look like it's shell is becoming hour glass shape so I say it's a male

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is fungal shellrot. It's very treatable with athletes foot cream and shouldn't take long to cure.
The tail is looking a bit long, so I'm saying male. :D

Danny

blackcat38

5 Year Member
north wales, UK
Thanks for your answers :)
what about the plastron shape around the tail, it's not very wide, I thought males were wider than females? She said its 2.5yrs but she bought it from an aquatics shop who told her it was a baby, dunno how truthful the shop was

blackcat38

5 Year Member
north wales, UK
I think your probably right with the age.

So she is a he? If so I don't think i'll be getting him, I already have a male and don't want to give myself future problems with the male:female ratio

Shame cos it has a lovely little face

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Maybe you could pass on Danny's information to her about the shell rot even if you don't by him (which is what I guessed too) so she can take care of it before it becomes a real problem. Candy

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am about 90% sure this is a female. The tail is short and wide, and carried straight out rather than curled around; anal scutes opening angle is about 90 degrees; and the narrow carapace/plastron opening is pretty tight. These are female characteristics. The 'wasp waist' looks more like an optical illusion to me.

The white rot looks like mine did when they had a touch of 'immersion foot'- too much contact with wet substrate. The keratin gets soft and rubs off. Fix the problem, treat with Betadine or athlete's foot cream, and it stops spreading quickly. Healing goes pretty quick in the sense that the plastron toughens up, but the signs of damage go on for a while.

blackcat38

5 Year Member
north wales, UK
Madkins007 said:
I am about 90% sure this is a female. The tail is short and wide, and carried straight out rather than curled around; anal scutes opening angle is about 90 degrees; and the narrow carapace/plastron opening is pretty tight. These are female characteristics. The 'wasp waist' looks more like an optical illusion to me.

Thanks Madkins007, I thought it was a she but wanted to check because of my limited experience on tort sexing. I have got a pic from above, sorry should of posted that too, it shows no waist.

Candy- I emailed her the info so hopefully it will be sorted :)

thanks for everyones advice:D

Status
Not open for further replies.