I just may have a real Brazilian baby...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
ONE OF THESE DAYS!?!

This is her 4th clutch this laying season.. and she may lay once or twice more. I'm still waiting for something to happen with the 8/25 clutch.

I know this is old hat for Carl and Allegra.. but it's still new for me.

( maybe I'll start producing "Black-Cherry" redfoots from Brazil -
36_2_471.gif
) That thing is wearing me out just watching it.

A couple days ago -

122910BRNEST.jpg

The typical nesting 'trance' -

122910BRTrance.jpg

Into the incubator -

122910BREggs.jpg

This year she has produced the largest eggs ever.. they're huge! In the past couple years she laid 5 or 6 much smaller eggs.. with only one 5-egg clutch this season. We should know early Feb. again.

Hope my male is "mature"...

NERD

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very nice. I can't wait to see the hatchlings.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
This was discussed with Allegra recently..

I'M AFRAID I HAVE A "DEAD" BRAZILIAN MALE --- HE'S SHOOTING BLANKS.. INFERTILE...........

She has laid another 13 eggs in 3 clutches since Aug. and none show any signs of fertility. At least we know that she is "clean" = no sperm from any other males than him.

36_2_52.gif

NERD

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Terry,

Like I said, he may still be good but had a rough year. It also may be her. I wouldn't get rid of him too quickly. Congrats on the eggs.

Allegra

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
allegraf said:
Terry,

Like I said, he may still be good but had a rough year. It also may be her. I wouldn't get rid of him too quickly. Congrats on the eggs.

Allegra

Now Allegra.. you know I won't get red of him.. or give up on him - I've waited only 5 years so far on him to mature!

Keeping/breeding Redfoot tortoises teaches patience beyond comprehension!
3_4_1021.gif

SEE..... it's got me posting silly smilies all over!!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Laura said:
make sure he is wearing boxers...

can a vet check for sperm count? or ???

Where I live [ or most everywhere ] the local Vet. would have to go to their "instruction-book" on reptiles - at best.

How would a sperm count be done?

Time will tell...

NERD

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
Laura said:
make sure he is wearing boxers...

can a vet check for sperm count? or ???

Where I live [ or most everywhere ] the local Vet. would have to go to their "instruction-book" on reptiles - at best.

How would a sperm count be done?

Time will tell...

NERD

Terry ....
One way of testing is somthing like this ......
The MICT® technology system is a desktop based, in vitro diagnostic device. The purpose of the MICT® system, when used with its disposable test cassettes, is to provide a means to quantitatively and qualitatively detect biochemical analytes directly from body fluids or environmental samples.

The format of MICT® assays is similar to that of standard home pregnancy tests. In MICT® assays, however, small magnetic nanoparticles replace the gold or colored latex particles used in visually read tests. These nanoparticles have similar flow and capture characteristics to their colored analogues, however in the MICT® technology system, a magnetic measurement of the capture line is made. The magnetic measurement is directly related (quantitatively) to the amount of accumulated magnetic material in the capture region.

The magnetic measurement requires the excitation of the nanoparticles in a magnetic field. This magnetic field is provided by way of a C-shaped electromagnet, while the magnetic measurement is performed by an array of thin film induction coils. The format of the capture line, as well as the geometry, position, material selection and electronics, all contribute to the sensitive nature and quantitative ability of the measurement.

My father was the inventor and holds the patent for this technology ( I grew up with this stuff and learned a little myself ;) ) . I have applied this science to our shelled friends and with 100% accuracy, over the last 5 years. You Will see some articles in the near future about this.... I promise,,, We are currently carrying this further with genetic testing/sexing....ect..

JD~:D

Status
Not open for further replies.